Bushmoot 2016 workshops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Ooooh, exciting. I've worked out that I'm going to offer three different workshops at the moot each for 2.5 hours - obviously subject to permission from hwmbo!

1. Peg loom mat, rug or seat cushion
2. Making a set of weaving sticks and a simple strap using some cheery yarn
3. Weaving a quiver or long tube basket (loom included in take away from session)

£5 for materials for each workshop, cuppa (tea not coffee, coffee is the spawn of some hellish thing) included, bring a seat and a mug. Probably to be held at my camp site - I've a shiny new tarp made by Bilmo to help with the whole keeping dry business!

You know you want to!

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I've had another brainwave! I'm going to do a workshop on making leather mug holders where you get to spend 2.5 hours making, wait for it, a leather mug holder!image.jpg I'll have to look at costs - probably a fiver to cover materials... Hmm I wonder how many gloving needles I've got.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Excellent!

I might also do a session on tape weaving using a rigid heddle loom, different to tablet weaving. Hmm, so many nice things to do.....

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Is there any chance that someone might do a 'make your own boreal bushcraft anorak workshop' (bring your own blanket needle and thread) I'd dearly love to go to a workshop like that....

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Ok, so I've now worked out the five things I'll offer:
1. Weaving a quiver - the amazing Coke bottle loom is included in cost
2. Weaving a peg loom mat, cushion or small rug - peg looms may be available to buy for about £15 on top - but you could just borrow one if mine!
3. Making socks on a sock loom - will check about loom cost might be able to get them for an additional £3 or use mine
4. Making a leather mug holder
5. Making weaving sticks and a strap from cheerful yarn - take the sticks away with you - please
6. Making tape on a fixed headle loom - can get these for a tenner for a simple one if anyone wants one - or use mine

Any session a fiver for materials - six people per session, 2.5,hours long. Tea and biccies included. Should manage to fit each session running three times over the BM... 🌲🌲🌲 closer to the year/month/day I'll take more names but do feel free to indicate interest - it'll help me sort out materials and kit.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I know, but I love some of these and they're so easy and I get to meet lovely people, share some skills and chill out at my own tent! But if someone will teach a make a blanket bush shirt thingy I'm definitely going to do that!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know, but I love some of these and they're so easy and I get to meet lovely people, share some skills and chill out at my own tent! But if someone will teach a make a blanket bush shirt thingy I'm definitely going to do that!

I'm no seamstress but I can bring bring some various sized patterns of a simple design for anyone who would want to make their own and we can muddle through making them together :)

I know one person who might help us out as a consultant tailor if we ask him nicely :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My "Blanky-Hoodie" is just made from rectangles of fabric, each sized to the individuals measurements - no tailoring needed (but wearing a belt helps!) while sewing is easy ...
I use a machine!
However sewing in the field only needs a "blanket stitch" (about 3 stitches to the inch would be about right) using a suitable thread (wool or linen would be nice but polyester may be easier) on a fairly large needle (easier to find if you drop it for one thing!)
Personally I detest hand sewing - Mr Singer was our saviour here - but understand some folks like doing it (or is it they are even tighter than me and will not fork out for a sewing machine? .... nah - no one is that tight!).
I am always up to watch folk put themselves through torment of sore fingers and stabbed legs and would happily come along to observe :)

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Excellent - I do actually have a hand cranked sewing machine so I could bring that - it's only from Cardiff and I quite like the idea of us sewing by machine outside a tent ... Alternatively sewing by hand is pretty simple (saying nothing John!) and I haven't stabbed myself recently!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Sounds like all stuff I would want to learn Lizz but as Steve said leave some time to do a workshop or two for yourself. Anything weaving interests me so I am looking forward to seeing some of the workshops.

Personally I want to run a couple of workshops myself. I am thinking about showing how to make a damp log rocket stove with only an axe, saw and knife and how to make a dovetail campfire crane from a single pole.

atb, George

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some cool stuff coming up in this thread...keep it coming everyone, maybe i'll even get to a couple of them :D

Jules (basket making) has sent me details of a Willow backpack 2 day course that she's going to put on at the Moot, I'm very tempted by that as well

attachment.php

Attachments

• croppedbackpack2.jpg
    croppedbackpack2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 231

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE