Bushcraft Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Bluffer,

Would you say it's ok for a pushchair / toddler walking tomorrow. Our niece and nephew are coming and am wondering if we could push them round. We just had a drive down ( we only live a few miles away) and it looked quite boggy.

Cheers,

Bobby

Just turned my phone on, would have replied sooner!

It looks fairly normal right now, but there is ankle deep mud at the choke points - entry/access point from the road (caused by cars) and around the arena (in the food stalls and main tent area).

It would need some grading and gravel or plastic track, which obviously wasn't considered necessary or appropriate during the planning.

Looks like this was the year everyone was caught out by the mud!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I saw something similar happen at a major triathlon event a couple of years ago. The field where they had put down straw at the entrances before people started to drive in was wet but passable, while the field that didn't have any straw turned into an impassable quagmire. Once it's started to turn to mud there is very little you can do about it.

Fingers crossed for a dry day today, I'm still hoping to go up tomorrow.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im suprised nobody was hurt yesterday leaving/entering the car park.

As we were on our way back to our car, the back end of a ford focus cmax was sliding towards the kid, the dogs, the missus and myself as it was being pulled by a landy through the mud. Gave us a bit of a scare. :yikes:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I saw something similar happen at a major triathlon event a couple of years ago. The field where they had put down straw at the entrances before people started to drive in was wet but passable, while the field that didn't have any straw turned into an impassable quagmire. Once it's started to turn to mud there is very little you can do about it.

That's exactly what has happened here.

Nice and sunny here now, but that access point is a quagmire.

I'm planning to wait until nightfall, it might freeze and be easier to drive out?

bearbait

Just saw that the organisers of the show are telling folks not to come today on the events/Bushcraft Show Facebook page!!!
What to do??? :confused:

Many thanks for the heads-up. Was just about to schlep on down there from mid-Wales early this morning. Saved me a possible wasted trip. Decided to go and wander about in the mud at Hay Festival instead...

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Well hacked off. I went today. M1 shut between Leeds and Sheffield had to detour. Then 20 miles of 50mph with speed cameras so it took me 3 hours to get there. Ready for a coffee and a day of fun. Guy on the car park said there was no parking now due to the mud. I could park down the road if I wanted but run the risk of a parking ticket (yeah that's a great option). Told me the mud was 2 feet deep but it was up to me if I wanted to go in still. I said I'll go home and never return - ever again. Threw my dummy out of the pram. Hadn't bought a ticket but spent about £35 in diesel, up at 6am and a 6 hour round trip in the rain. OK to be fair they can't control the weather. Lessons learned - never ever buy a ticket in advance for an outdoor event in a field in the UK. Don't attempt to go to anything if there's been a day of rain before. Don't trust the weatherman who said Sunday was going to be a nice day two days ago. Get up before 6am so you can check if it's been cancelled. Take up a different hobby - like weather forecasting!

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
A shame that a show promoting self reliance in the countryside doesn't seem to be able to walk the talk. Parking in British fields for events isn't rocket science; one feels the organisers dropped the ball this time. I know it depends on the weather and the geology/soil of the site, but that's what organisers are for, to organise.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Hmmm... If it was bad after yesterdays rain it's going to be even worse with all the rain being forecast for today

I think I'm not going to risk going up today only to have them turn you away at the gate :(

hi Steve, i got turned away at the gate, no one was allowed onto the field. so i parked along the lane with about another 70/80 cars only to be moved on by organisers who said there was threatened clamping or towing by the police! anyway i was there and i wasnt going home so i found a lane about half a mile away and walked in, still had to pay full price!

its muddy, very muddy boot sucking super glue mud :) still i spotted there were hopefuls in trainer type footwear. :rolleyes: pushchairs and toddlers are out if you want to keep them relatively clean.

on the up side i bought some useful items, had a chat with Nick from DD hammocks and his guys, Paul Kirtley was asking about our meets, and i met a few of the North Wood crew. so worth the effort. just be aware tomorrow is forecast to be very wet!

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
access is key to any event especially one of this nature. having to turn money away is a dire situation for the organisers, a grass setting is nice but too weather dependant. were i organising this next year an all weather surface would be top of the list. or at least a plan B!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'm going tomorrow, is it still okay for day tickets ie parking etc can I still park and get in?

When I left at 2 this afternoon they weren't letting any vehicles onto the parking fields at all, I don't know if the situation has changed now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE