Bushcraft shopping - lakes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Visiting Keswick this week and need to get a couple of bushcraft-type pressies. Gransfors axe in particular. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
Steve.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Not sure.His number is 01900 829204 give him a ring ,if he's mail order only his delivery times are very fast. His name is Mark.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Mark is also a member of this forum so you can PM him and he should reply fairly quickly. Ive had loads of stuff from Mark and its always very quick delivery and top service.

Stu

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Shopping ideas in Keswick? This post is a wind-up isn't it? Torturing everyone who isn't on a shopping spree in Keswick this week. :)

Walk through, down and round all it's nooks and crannies and when you get back to square-one go back to wherever caught your eye most and spend everything you have. Don't blow it on the first thing you see.
That'd be my advice for shopping in Keswick.

The clothing range is quite outstanding,

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Shopping ideas in Keswick? This post is a wind-up isn't it? Torturing everyone who isn't on a shopping spree in Keswick this week. :)

Walk through, down and round all it's nooks and crannies and when you get back to square-one go back to wherever caught your eye most and spend everything you have. Don't blow it on the first thing you see.
That'd be my advice for shopping in Keswick.

The clothing range is quite outstanding,

Don't forget to put a pair of Yeti attack Gaitors on if your walking through the main street, everyone else does;)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Cannot recall the name of the shop but there is a really good outdoor shop down the bottom of town, opposite Oxfam.It is s pedestrian bit and the downstairs is a toy shop.
Go upstairs- clothing, boots, knives etc. Some real bargains last time I was there.

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
If there's a town with more outdoor shops per sq mile than Keswick I've not come across it. It takes a man of steel to complete the traverse of the main street without reaching for his wallet or melting the plastic.

On the other hand my wife managed to go in just about every shop looking for a new fleece top only to come away empty handed having decided they were either the wrong colour/price/design/thickness. - she did get a dinky woolly hat from the Norwegian Shop though, along with a Chrissy present I'm not supposed to know about.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Winwoods is the Lightweight gear shop. Lots of anti-gravity gear cooksets and caldera stoves. Tarps and tarptents.

There used to be loads of fishing gear shops. One that I used to look into always used to have an interesting range of knives in the window. Think it was also a newsagents or tobacconists. Located on the side with Woolworths I think but lower down the main road. Not many left (if any at all). I prefer Ambleside partly as its nearer, but it justs needs a Winwoods to make Ambleside complete. In Ambleside the Gaynors have a new shop. It sells a large range of Gerbers including a neat little suspension type knife that's very lightweight but made out of something good.

Back to Keswick, get yourself down to Winwoods Outdoors down the pedestrian bit towards Oxfam. It doesn't look much, more like a cheap gear shop (regatta peter storm gear) but it isn't. They stock Montane and other good makes. If you go in and head to the left you get to their lightweight corner. But they close early sometimes when they feel like it. Try to get there when the owner is there, Ian I think, as he knows his stuff with the lightweight gear and is quite good to talk to.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Winwoods is the Lightweight gear shop. Lots of anti-gravity gear cooksets and caldera stoves. Tarps and tarptents.

There used to be loads of fishing gear shops. One that I used to look into always used to have an interesting range of knives in the window. Think it was also a newsagents or tobacconists. Located on the side with Woolworths I think but lower down the main road. Not many left (if any at all). I prefer Ambleside partly as its nearer, but it justs needs a Winwoods to make Ambleside complete. In Ambleside the Gaynors have a new shop. It sells a large range of Gerbers including a neat little suspension type knife that's very lightweight but made out of something good.

Back to Keswick, get yourself down to Winwoods Outdoors down the pedestrian bit towards Oxfam. It doesn't look much, more like a cheap gear shop (regatta peter storm gear) but it isn't. They stock Montane and other good makes. If you go in and head to the left you get to their lightweight corner. But they close early sometimes when they feel like it. Try to get there when the owner is there, Ian I think, as he knows his stuff with the lightweight gear and is quite good to talk to.

That's the one, I couldn't remember the name, great shop.

That old fishing shop was always worth a look at, as you say, a good range of cutlery, tackle and outdoors gear aimed more at the hunting fishing brigade.

It was a shame when it closed down.

Another window worth looking in is the little hardware and camping shop near the whiskey shop up towards Fishers.

Great for odds and ends.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Cheers for that! Going up to langdale and around pavey ark, weather permitting - just so you know I'm not JUST shopping! Lurch - do you have the gransfors small forest axe in stock? May see you Thursday afternoon, then. . . . . .? Couple of those as pressies for others and maybe a knif or boots for me - oh, yes.

Cheers.

JohnH

Dec 12, 2008
Portsmouth
I love Keswick. I take holidays there JUST for the shopping. I wish I was in Keswick right now instead of a dusty sandbowl.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are going to be in the Langdales, you might also stop in Ambleside. There is a shop on the eastern road called The Mountaing Factor that has a great range of Paramo (15%off right now) and Icebreaker kit. I got some merino socks there that are really nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE