Bushcraft knives for beginners!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Okay, so having listened to all of your advice it seems to me that the word 'Mora' came up quite a lot! I've taken a look at their knives and had a think about which one would suit my needs best and suit me best (big hands)... I've gone for the Mora Heavy Duty Robust Companion Carbon 840mg. It's a bigger version of the companion and it's awesomely got a bigger handle!

I've been hearing nothing but good things about it from people on youtube and wherever else I've read about it. Here's a review that made me laugh so I'd thought I'd share :)...

Imagine a mora companion , this particular mora was bullied by the other knives , bigger knives.
Everyday he was told he was no good for batoning because he was to thin.
That his handle was to small for people with bigger hands to have a good grip.

But that little companion joined the gym.
every other day he would lift , and lift until he could lift no more.
He would beat the weakness out of his body.

And that little mora , is no longer a little mora.
This mora is a bigger , better , badass mora.
This mora can cut through other small mora knives
This mora is THE mora.

Contrary to popular belief , this knife is so sharp that it was used to split the atom.

What do you guys think of this knife, any thoughts?

N

Nomad

When some colleagues and I were going on a basic bushcraft course earlier this year, I suggested a Mora Robust for those that didn't have a knife already (and pointed out Uncle Ray's 2 for 20 quid deal). Having seen the Robust and compared it to a Companion, given the choice, I'd take the Robust without hesitation.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have one of these knives and they are great! I have always loved moras as for the price you can't beat them.
They will do everything a higher priced knife will do, including my woodlore, and the heavy duties thicker spine gives a bit more confidence for heavier work!

I don't think you will regret getting one, mine is my go to knife for most situations at the mo!

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I had one in carbon and didn't like it. The handle was too big for my hand and it didn't cut as well as I imagined.
I gave it away and bought a Companion in Stainless as I heard they're run of Sandvik 12c27 was coming to an end.

In my opinion my Companion is a better knife than my Heavy Duty was.

Having seen the Robust and compared it to a Companion, given the choice, I'd take the Robust without hesitation.

What makes you say this? Also, what exactly makes it 'robust'? Although I've bought the knife and awaiting its delivery, I'd still like to understand your opinion of the knife and learn all of these terms being said!

That's awesome. I must try this!

What type of wood do you find most satisfying and also easiest to carve? I've used pine before, but I don't find the wood very 'special' to hold.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
What makes you say this? Also, what exactly makes it 'robust'? Although I've bought the knife and awaiting its delivery, I'd still like to understand your opinion of the knife and learn all of these terms being said!

Hi Kristian,

The term robust, as I understand it, refers to the fact the blade is over twice as thick as a standard companion - having been using mine for only a couple of weeks I can vouch for the fact that it feels more substantial in my hand and the thicker blade certainly feels like it would stand up to use that I wouldn't consider using my companion for.

As one of your previous posts said it is basically a mora companion that has been beefed up, it cuts very well and I have found it to hold its edge well, not had any need to sharpen it in the field even after a days heavy use.

Hamster

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE