bushcraft instructor insurance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
does anyone know what sort of insurance is needed to instruct bushcraft and where to find it?

at the moment i can work under anothers insurance, but with my own insurance it broadens up my horizons from a teaching perspective.

at the moment im 20, 21 in may, does age have anything to do with the price of avalibility of insurance?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I would guess that what you need is your own public liability insurance.

I'm sure that some of the guys on here have it and can tell you who the provider is.

udamiano

On a new journey
Yes you need Public and private liability insurance Brindle Insurance do 'bushcraft' type insurance for schools.

On another issue if you are going on your own, you will also need to be registered for handling peoples details, you are not allowed to process or retain customer information without registration.(Part 2, Section 17 DPA98) this is done via the ICO, and is fairly painless. Don't get caught without registration they really come down hard on people.

Hope it goes good for you

Day

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Yes you need Public and private liability insurance Brindle Insurance do 'bushcraft' type insurance for schools.

On another issue if you are going on your own, you will also need to be registered for handling peoples details, you are not allowed to process or retain customer information without registration.(Part 2, Section 17 DPA98) this is done via the ICO, and is fairly painless. Don't get caught without registration they really come down hard on people.

Hope it goes good for you

Day

cheers mate,
im working for a couple of other companys as an assistant, but the insurance will mean i can lead groups by myself.

All instructing and anything that involves lessons will require a risk assessment and lesson plan/scheme of work. You will also probably need a valid first aid certificate and emergency action plans to cover serious injuries or illnesses for students out in the woods. If you have those in place it would help with your insurance premium plus it helps if anything untowards happens your bum is suffciently covered with paperwork.

Other things to consider would be a teaching qualification PTTLS is a good route to go down as many places to it and it can be upgraded to allow teaching in further education - if you can talk a college into incorporating bush stuff with existing outdoor learning you could be onto a winner. Also CRB to allow teaching to under 18's (this may make your insurance jump) is something to think about.

The above may sound like overkill but if you put it in place in the beginning then it is way easier to run your course as a business rather than try and do it at a later date. Using stuff like structured lesson plans (even if you don't stick to them) and risk assessments, emergency action plans give you far greater credibility if you were looking for finace to help set up.

The students do not need to see all of paperwork and it need not get in the way of the actual teaching/sharing of bushcraft skills but having it as a framework to base course or a business on pays dividends.

As you may have guessed I run training courses (not bushcraft) and I hated all the need for paperwork but when done it makes a huge difference.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Forgot to say PM if you want any help with risk assessments, lesson plans and the like.

Thanks Satyr,
at the moment that side of things is being taken care of by my colleague who has a fair bit of experience. im currently in the process of studying to get my lvl 4 nfce in bushcraft leadership qualification, which covers teaching aspects, the legal side of things aswell as skills.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
make sure it covers you against giving bad advice etc (cant remember the exact insurance term) my scuba school uses insurance that covers that for all its instructors

so if you get sued for telling some one to eat a poisonus mushroom your covered

Professional Liability Insurance Dunc. You'd certainly be mad not to have that - my firm carries it for the firm and each consultant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE