Bushcraft first aid.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I always carry my first aid kit when I go into the woods. If I have my knife then I have my first aid kit too. Only ever cut myself once so far and not badly (just cleaned it and slapped on a plaster) and this was just last week.

Got me to thinking though - has anybody any links, or ideas, on bushcraft versions of common first aid items.

Plasters, bandages, etc.

Might be nice to add a couple of learned skills to my first aid kit.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
All usefull. But not quite what I'm after.

I'm looking for more "bushcrafty" things. Usefull plants, etc. I've had some first aid training and my modern kit is pretty much stocked - it's more natural ideas I'm after.

Thanks anyway.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sorry, I see what you mean now. Here are some older threads that contain good info: 1 and 2.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
mace242 said:
All usefull. But not quite what I'm after.

I'm looking for more "bushcrafty" things. Usefull plants, etc. I've had some first aid training and my modern kit is pretty much stocked - it's more natural ideas I'm after.

Thanks anyway.

I think we did that one as well Mace...decended into a bun-fight:rolleyes:

First aid is first aid, if you have time to go looking for and preparing "natural" products that is OK but not good if you need something quick.

My FAK is quite big as I tend to have more than I need "just in case"...

LS

I will look for a link to the old stuff.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I often use various styptic plants when out

Woundwort, self heal, most of the mints have good stypic properties. I don't fluff about trying to ID the exact the plant I just ID the group and squeeze the juice out. I will ID the plant fully later.

Sheep sorrel the stem juice is a good stypic and is very common. It also works on stings.

Willows has a wide range of different properties. I have considered using the soft inner bark as bandage on sprained ankle, but decided to weave a crutch instead. The bark bandage has possibilities if it wasn't the fact when you need it is the time when you are least likely able to process it. .

Comfrey produces a slimy juice that can act like wound glue. The pulverized root I have used on a broken finger.

The problem with using plants it is fine when you are in a familiar environment and you know your way around your local natural supermarket and you can get the plants quickly. It gets difficult when you looking at a kid who just sat on ants nest and there is no willow, or chalk because you are on a upland moor. Start grabbing plants that you know, rubbing bilberries on the bites, until you notice the poplar and remember that is related to willow. What i am getting at using plants is a different way of thinking it is not like you can replace one piece of kit with one plant. But saying that a couple of willow withes can come close :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE