Bushcraft first aid course - South

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Following on from Sniper's offer to put on a bushcraft first aid course up there, I'm happy to put on one down here!

I know 3 people are already interested. A good maximum is 10-12, but if only 3-4 turn up then that is fine too!

Does anyone have any good ideas for a venue? I'm in Exeter, but I am willing to travel a bit to a good venue. I can sort boring indoor ones, but it would be nice if we could do some stuff inside and some stuff outside - so even a pub function room that backs on to a beer garden would be a start! I'm sure you guy know better places then I do though.

Also, apart from the usual stuff (CPR, blood, taking a history, choking, burns, fractures, chest pain, the unconcious casualty, etc.), is there anything specific that anyone would like to cover?

Alex

Hmm ... I don't know. I believe there are a number of injuries which can be managed with a triangular bandage :) But seriously, I think "moving the casualty" is rather important, including getting them into survival bags, etc. There may not be six people about, so some technique is important here too.

I'm going to try to sweet talk the South West Forest people, see what they come up with. It does mean I'll have to get this database done today though!

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I'm sure you have already thought of these but...

Hypothermia? Probably covered under your 'basics' list I'd hope.

Diabetes.

A bit of instruction with Bothy shelters etc.

I'd suggest as much 'hands on' practice as possible, makes the learning stick & students can take turns being casualties etc. Plan a few surprises to test what people have just learned etc.

Gaffer tape has many uses in a First Aid situation, much quicker to immobilise a broken limb than a triangular bandage & often more comfortable for the victim - less movement of a injured arm if you just tape it to their body etc.

No expert, just recounting some things from the course I went on.

Best of luck with the venue.

If it's an overnighter perhaps a little nocturnal emergency?:cool:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I too would be up for one to demonstrate just how much i don't know..

As a venue ( if the north devon one doesnt pan out ) Ashclyst Forest scouting area? Camping allowed and plenty of trees to bounce off of .

and fairly central to all of devon/sw??

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Been busy with work this last week, but now back!

Are people looking for a weekend in March, or later in the year?

@TeeDee: do you have a connection / contact with Ashclyst forest? This sounds like a great location.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
March is fine for me subject to dates and costs.
But TBH my time is probably more flexible tan most,so I can normally fit in with others.

GS

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Alex , no official connection to Scouts or Caddihoe.

Only suggesting it because;-

A) Central Devon Locality.

B) Close to M5 so good commuiting route for most.

C) Good Mix of ancient and new forest.

D) Quiet

E) Sheltered 'indoor /barn' demonstration area if weather turns.

F) Fresh water on site

G) Toilet & Shower ( I think ) on site.

H) Adequate Car parking.

It was only a chance converstaion with someone the other day that informed me that they are happy to rent the area out at reasonable rates. Still waiting on the contact number.
will post more details when i have had a chat with the guy in charge.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Few more details, as have spoken to the guy in charge of the site.

Price for camping is £2.60 PPPN so not sure how that stacks up against other places.

More information about the site can be found ;-

http://www.devonscouts.org.uk/images/activities/caddihoebrochure.pdf

The gentlemen did make mention that it get busy more at weekends then during the week , which is fairly obvious however the one fly in the ointment may be that although they are happy yo have the site shared by say a scout group and a bunch of bushcrafter if the scout leaders object because the bushcrafter have no CRB checks then they will not be able to share the site.

Obviously the warden rings around fisrt to see if the scout/guide leader has any problems with sharing and then gets back to the contact person.

Just out of interest and attempting to consider be a little proactive a CRB costs £31.00 for the standard or £36.00 for the In depth search. I think it would obvioulsy reassure people if you could prove you have chosen to proved a CRB.

Unfortunately a sign of the times we live in folks and i would'nt blame any scout/guide leader who objected to sharing the site in these to better err on the side of caution.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Ideally we would want an area out of the way of the kids if we were going to use this.

Naturally I already hold an enhanced CRB, but feel it would be unfair to expect everyone who comes on a course to hold one too!

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Here is a link to some possible dates:

http://www.doodle.com/fkqc3w3ny8ecdpe6

Ideally I would like to do the course over two days as this allows for more time and practical scenarios. I know that might not fit everyone though, so - would you like this to be a starter for one day (with a practical sometime in the future), or more in depth over two days?

If you can all get back to me quickly then I can get the ball rolling properly!

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've missed this thread til now, but think smarvell has passed on to someone at some point that I'm up for it, and willing to help. Got enhanced CRB check, and can help instuction with CPR, log rolling/manual handling of suspected spinal injuries...and various other random ****, mainly trauma oriented. I'm pretty bad at keeping up with threads currently (lots of working) so could someone PM me once a date gets set? Ta guys

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
OK - only 3 people so far - a bit thin on the ground!

Is anyone else interested? If so, please say now!

Otherwise, seeing as the three that are already interested have some basic training, shall we do some other stuff?

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I would like to attend but have a busy few months with wedding anniversary, wife's birthday and son's birthday. If it doesn't go ahead in March/April is there any chance you could try running it again later in the year perhaps June/July time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE