Bushcraft camping at Yellow Wood campsite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I know many of you would like to find more places in the UK to practice your bushcraft skills, sleep out and make fires without the restrictions of a ‘normal’ campsite. Now one such Holy Grail exists.

Paul Colley-Davies has kindly opened up some of his woodland in Herefordshire to cater for bushcraft enthusiasts and a friend and I were lucky to have the opportunity to try this out last weekend. Paul runs a bushcraft school in the heart of the beautiful wilderness of Herefordshire, near to the Welsh border and close to the foothills of the Brecon Beacons and the river Hay-on-Wye offering excellent backcountry treks nearby. Recognising the demand for safe yet wild places for bushcraft enthusiasts to practice their skills Paul has opened parts of his 30 acre mixed woodland site to those who want to camp without all the usual ‘facilities’ of hot showers and flushing toilets and none of the bugbears of all proper outdoor enthusiasts – namely tented neighbours who insist on bringing crates of beer and blasting out the sounds of nature with a radio!

Paul is keen to discuss the best way forward for his site, possibly making it more official as a fixed site; with some permanent campfire areas in order to minimise the affects on the resources of the area. I am sure that Paul will welcome more of you to camp out and gauge for yourselves the best way to preserve, protect and enhance this rare environment for bushcraft enthusiasts to continue to enjoy for years to come.

Do take a look at his website - www.yellowwood.co.uk - and check out some of our pics for the weekend - http://picasaweb.google.com/rgpotts/Bushcraft2

The price was £10 each for 2 days and £5 per wheelbarrow load of firewood.

littlebear

Jan 16, 2007
Bristol
This place sounds amazing, and not too far from Bristol. Great how they dont allow chavs on the site. I might even take the Bushcraft full day course too. Open fires, wildlife, woodland, no chavs sounds perfect to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE