Bush cigar substitute?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I was thinking back to my early teens when we used to go into the woods and smoke whatever we saw just for the sake of it. Now i am a little bit older (hopefullly in maturity too!), I am quite into cigars whilst I cook when i am out bushcrafting. As this is not every day, i feel i can induldge myself - but they are so expensive! I was wondering if there is a bush substitute for tobacco - tea leaves etc.?

Thanks,
Ph34r

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The problem is that so many of the old 'herbal' tobaccos are either proscribed or have so many warnings associated with them that folks are reluctant to even recommend somethings.

However,
Read up on these and see what you think for yourself.

Catnip
Mugwort
Coltsfoot
Lemon balm
Hops,
Sweet rush
St. John's wort
Liquirice roots
Scotch Marigold

cheers,
Toddy

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Cheers guys! Toddy, you have given me some reading to do - excellent! I am trying to take advantage of my down time due to broken collar bone, and reading up on those will be a great use!

Will give Cohiba a go, and I am sure I could grow tobacco in the polytunnel, on a good day its 40 degrees there!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
banana skins! :D :D :D hehehehee

well you can't get bananas growing in the UK but you can get a suspicious plant growing in elusive 'hoping not to be found' areas of woodland :) lol

i once stumbled accross a patch of them allong with a young guy who saw me and legged it!

pete

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
well you can't get bananas growing in the UK but you can get a suspicious plant growing in elusive 'hoping not to be found' areas of woodland :) lol

i once stumbled accross a patch of them allong with a young guy who saw me and legged it!

pete

You were lucky. There have been such 'gardeners' taken very unkindly to intruders to their 'grass' growing areas. As in 'boom' or 'stab' unkind.

Aug 17, 2010
East Berlin
Raspberry are smokeable although they they don't taste all that bad they make you feel absolutely nothing. You can even buy it in organic shops as a tabak substitute.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
As kids we used to smoke the stems of Old Mans Beard. It has lots of small holes running along its length and wasn't at all unpleasant, as I recall. I dread to think what awful things it could have done to us, or what may still be install for those who took part. I doubt it was as bad for us as all the rollies I smoked later in life though.

Al

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
It is now day 7 of my tobacco growing, and some have already got 5mm leaves. I am growing in a greenhouse (heated) mind you. Apparently 90 days is the estimated growth time 9although I am growing at entirely the wrong time of YEAR! ) Thanks for support/ idea. I am sure that I will have quite a lot of Havana leaves when I am done, so keep your eyes out for a group givaway around late November!

EddBamber

Tenderfoot
It is now day 7 of my tobacco growing, and some have already got 5mm leaves. I am growing in a greenhouse (heated) mind you. Apparently 90 days is the estimated growth time 9although I am growing at entirely the wrong time of YEAR! ) Thanks for support/ idea. I am sure that I will have quite a lot of Havana leaves when I am done, so keep your eyes out for a group givaway around late November!

Good luck on growing your tobacco. Hope all goes well. :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
In my dim and distant past I knew a shepherd in the Cheviots who held a briar pipe constantly in the corner of his mouth. he puffed on it all day (and much of the night during lambin') and he swore by freshly gathered "dottle" (thats sheep s..t to the rest of us) which he collected early morning, crumbilng it while fresh and drying it either in the sun on a selected rock for the purpose, or on top of his old stove. Now I'm not recomending this, but I bet someone will try it before the month is out....

I passed on the opportunity, but then I was quite young, but the temptation has never quite left me...still resisting...:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE