Budget Wetsuit advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
As another Scuba Diver, I'd say look at a 5mm as an absolute minimum and semi-dry too.
you want to minimise the flushing action.
You want a good close fit too.
Personally I like Oceanic, as I find they fit me best, but most suits have a slightly different cut and you really need to try them on.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Some good advice here already. Certainly look at Lomo wetsuits online, they can advise you on fit and they are cheap.
Ensure you get the fit right as flushing will occur, which means the displacement of the water which your body has already warmed and can actually cause hypothermia.

Most importantly consider safety. You may be a strong swimmer in a pool but factor in the strong current pull of a river, cold temps and debris and you can easily get into trouble. Consider a bouyancy aid.

Finally tell someone where you are going and when you intend to be back.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
As another Scuba Diver, I'd say look at a 5mm as an absolute minimum and semi-dry too.
you want to minimise the flushing action.
You want a good close fit too.
Personally I like Oceanic, as I find they fit me best, but most suits have a slightly different cut and you really need to try them on.

This

Flushing makes you cold. Avoid steamers - these are built for surfing, canoeing etc - not swimming. Consider a free-diving suit. Low buoyancy, no zips, no fasteners, warm, flexible, a total bitch to get into and out of. I like Cressi. What's your budget?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've got one of their cheapest wetsuits, they are made for 20-25c water and are 1.5mm (might be 2mm) but it seems very thin. I looked at the cheap wetsuits that Aldi have in and they are much thicker but no good for swimming in. I'd give the cheapie Decathlon ones a miss and buy a branded one- it won't be cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE