British Army Mosquito Net Tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm about to try sleeping swinging from the trees for the first time. I have reservations with this as I sleep on my side and front normally and today my back is aching as it is. I also have reservations about privacy but I digress.

Spotted this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3f37c5e35d

If I had to bail on the idea of hanging precariously from a tree I figured I could just throw this under the Basha, stick my Neoair in it and BOOM! I'm ground dwelling again.

I see in another post people have used these without poles by hanging the apex from the ridgeline. Doe's that work well?

Anyone got any ideas as to the weight of this set up? (See now I'm obsessing about weight.)

All info gratefully received.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I haven't the single version but the double and that works well with or without the poles:

mysetup3.jpg

Jun 10, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
Sounds like a bargain, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. FWIW, I am a front and side sleeper but found no real issues with that in a hammock. Get your setup right and it's supremely comfortable. Took me a few nights to adjust to the idea but I wouldn't go back to the ground now. (Well I would if there were no trees available but you know what I mean :) ).

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Any idea how much that bit weighs Johnny? (that was the picture that made me think about this.)

For £15 it can live in the back of the car and if I cant hack it in the trees or one of the kids throws a wobbly because of a Wasp I have the situation covered.

Of course I could have gone for the DD Hammock with the built in mozzy net and that can be used on the deck but Hey we are all still learning.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
In its stuff sack it weighs in at 1.12kg but you can remove the straps that hold it to the bed and the metal rings for pegging out to save a good bit of weight.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Sounds like I could come up with something with a basha over the top for less than the magical 1.5Kgs.

Interesting!

Is the groundsheet fairly tough?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Argh TLA overload. Institute of Public Knowledge, international prototype kilogram, intractable plantar keratosis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, that's the one; the sheets are really light, you get a good amount of cordage and some round ally tubular pegs with it; I've used my current sheet on the ground two or three times a week for the past six months or so and there's loads of life left in it; just be aware that what will knacker them is sharp folds in the same place all the time, I just ramp mine randomly into an old stuff sack.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I love the idea of the IPK. Dig a hole, cover it with a thick plastic sheet, crawl in, and you're safe from radiation! Makes you wonder what all the fuss was about in the cold war!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE