British Army Bergen in OG

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You jammy sod £35 is a bargain with the pouches and yoke as has been said
I have one and I have to admit; heavy as it is it just inspires confidence it will do the job
I use it all the time now but really don't use the pouches anymore

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Is that so? Seems like a good idea with this Bergen but I'd be interested in arguments for/against

I wouldn't do it- just more staps hanging about, and more potential opportunities for failure. The bergen hood is large anyway, so that gives a fair degree of adjustability. If you do make the modification, make sure your sewing machine is man enough to sew through all the layers of fabric and webbing that will be required of it first, before you cut the lid off!

The only time where i have seen a floating lid modification being of some genuine use was when someone was carrying a huge roll of chicken wire and hessian under their bergen lid.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Congrats on the find, how do you find it being a longback?

I've an old DPM one, but it's a shorty. Worked great with beltkit etc, but now that's not required anymore it sits just a bit too high (like above my kidneys!) to be comfy! A longback was far too tall with beltkit on but I was thinking it might be a good choice for normal use nowadays.

They are pretty bombproof, and you've got to love the ability to stuff 120L in there, not that you have to of course. As for the floating lid, I wouldn't bother if I were you. I've a civvy Lowe Alpine rucksack that came with a floating lid to be able to use the snow-skirt under it to take it from 80L to 100L, and even that gets pretty ungainly and lopsided when having to do so. With 120L as-is I don't think you'd be very likely to really need any more capacity, and even if you did you'd probably find it a hassle to try and keep balanced.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Congrats on the find, how do you find it being a longback?.

Cant really comment on that at the moment as ive not used it with a load in it, but the hip belt sits nicely on my waist just where it should do, well it does now since ive adjusted a few straps on the pack, im hoping to get out and use it next week with a good load in it, i tried a short back when i was out at the shop and, nope, not for me, the long back is the better option, but there again im 6ft so it's better for my height anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE