Bramble proof (and barbed wire too!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do a google search for upland hunting pants. They're usually either canvas or denim but with overlays sewn to them of a more brier resistant material such as heavy Cordura. Here's a sample made by Browning and sold by Cabela's et al:

55728.jpg

I had a similar pair made by Wrangler a few years ago that worked very well. Cost seems to be around $59. Here's a link to Cabela's: www.cabelas.com/browning Just click on it and look for the Pheasants Forever line of clothing.

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
Loden piqued my interest and a Google for loden trousers threw up a great looking paire from tree work. £145 mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Last pair of keks I can remember ripping on barbed wire was the tarten things my mother made me when I was a nipper.
They made me look a right bleedin Rupert and I detested them, they also didn't get ripped by accident.
Since then I have been able to get over or round barbed wire fences without ripping my keks.

Can't say I've ripped many on bramble bushes but nor do I run through them like an over enthusiastic puppy either.

What do you do that means you need it to be medieval torture implement resistant? Gardener clearing an area that's been left for years?

k9wazere

Jan 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Last pair of keks I can remember ripping on barbed wire was the tarten things my mother made me when I was a nipper.
They made me look a right bleedin Rupert and I detested them, they also didn't get ripped by accident.
Since then I have been able to get over or round barbed wire fences without ripping my keks.

Can't say I've ripped many on bramble bushes but nor do I run through them like an over enthusiastic puppy either.

What do you do that means you need it to be medieval torture implement resistant? Gardener clearing an area that's been left for years?

Wading through overgrown mining wasteland, looking for shafts, adits, and anything else of interest. These areas are often left to go fully wild, and are not trafficked at all by human feet. Which is great if you're a bunny rabbit, but otherwise you end up as bramble fodder.

We're talking wall-of-brambles here. "You shall not pass" territory. Which is why I now have a brush hook. The safest thing would be to take off and nuke it from orbit, but the locals don't take kindly to that sort of thing.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If they are on your land (or land you have permission to cut on ), the cut it away with a bladed brush cutter on a harness. If it isn't your land, you shouldn't be hacking at it anyway.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Try a pair of Arborwear Original Tree Climbers. They're about £50 and made out of thick cotton canvas with a double piece from thigh to below the knee. I use them for everything, shooting, ferreting etc but agree with others that a pair of waxed legging work a treat in thick cover. Even the dreaded Cornish bramble!

k9wazere

Jan 15, 2015
United Kingdom
If they are on your land (or land you have permission to cut on ), the cut it away with a bladed brush cutter on a harness. If it isn't your land, you shouldn't be hacking at it anyway.

It isn't my land, no. It's wasteland. Possibly owned by the Duchy of Cornwall or some other land owner like Lord Falmouth, who between them own vast swathes of Cornwall.

The question is, does anyone care if I cut a few brambles down? I don't think they do. It's land that is just off the beaten track, accessible by walking through a field or two, or just bordering a footpath or road. We're not talking about trespassing across someone's lawn.

That said, the legality is not something that concerns me.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It concerns some of us though. You have already observed that brambles act as refuges for rabbits. They also provide food and shelter for other species. It is perfectly possible that the landowner wants them left for that purpose. I have piles of decaying wood left specifically as a Stag beetle habitat, long grass left for reptiles and amphibians and tangled dense thorn areas left as nest sites inaccessible to predators. These may look like "wasteland" to a trespasser, but if I caught one slashing at them with a billhook, I would ceertainly seek criminal prosecution.

k9wazere

Jan 15, 2015
United Kingdom
It concerns some of us though. You have already observed that brambles act as refuges for rabbits. They also provide food and shelter for other species. It is perfectly possible that the landowner wants them left for that purpose. I have piles of decaying wood left specifically as a Stag beetle habitat, long grass left for reptiles and amphibians and tangled dense thorn areas left as nest sites inaccessible to predators. These may look like "wasteland" to a trespasser, but if I caught one slashing at them with a billhook, I would ceertainly seek criminal prosecution.

You're worrying for nothing. These areas are just full of overgrown brambles, and pretty much nothing else. It is a very common habitat. We're not short of rabbits, or brambles for that matter. Common sense tells me I'm having no real impact in clearing a relatively small amount of these brambles to get from point A to point B.

Anyway, that's completely off-topic, so let's not discuss it further in this thread.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whatever your common sense tells you you are committing more than one criminal offense by using your brush hook on land where you have no legal right to do so. Its irresponsible acts like this that influence landowners views of allowing access and bushcraft in general. If you must trespass, at least have the decency to leave no trace.

k9wazere

Jan 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Whatever your common sense tells you you are committing more than one criminal offense by using your brush hook on land where you have no legal right to do so. Its irresponsible acts like this that influence landowners views of allowing access and bushcraft in general. If you must trespass, at least have the decency to leave no trace.

Seriously, no one cares about this old mining land. Except apparently you. You probably don't even know the kind of land I'm talking about. It's covered in heaps of old mine "tailings" (uneconomic rock that is considered worthless), plus brambles, and pretty much nothing else.

You know what. I don't have to justify myself to you. Must be a good view from up there tho ;) Oh and btw, the Police don't care either. Nobody cares. Stop being a drama llama.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
k9wazere, out of curiosity have you ever lived on the East Coast, Lincolnshire area? I only ask because it was because of a***holes like you that NO ONE is welcome on the small area of land that I own now.....they used to dig up Reeds that 'THEY' decided were useless they also dug up Marsh Marigolds and Water Mint etc that 'THEY' decided was just in the way. It's a shame there used to be a lot of bird watchers spent many hours and were welcome to do so on the area I owned but because of knowalls like yourself they now miss out.

k9wazere

Jan 15, 2015
United Kingdom
k9wazere, out of curiosity have you ever lived on the East Coast, Lincolnshire area? I only ask because it was because of a***holes like you that NO ONE is welcome on the small area of land that I own now.....they used to dig up Reeds that 'THEY' decided were useless they also dug up Marsh Marigolds and Water Mint etc that 'THEY' decided was just in the way. It's a shame there used to be a lot of bird watchers spent many hours and were welcome to do so on the area I owned but because of knowalls like yourself they now miss out.

Shame that has no relevance whatsoever to what I'm doing. Which is clearing a tiny amount of brambles from some waste land. Not marsh marigolds, not reeds... brambles. In small quantities.

I can't decide if this holier than thou thread derailment is funny or just downright sad. So many people think it's their god-given right to dictate the behaviour of others, when it does not concern them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE