Bowdrill E-book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Kath,

I'm curious to know why you would buy these when you could quite easily make your own.

There are quite a few posts on here about what woods are best and what various folk carry or use.

I've read alot of your posts and you seem as if you have a good idea of bushcraft skills and I'm sure you could apply these skills to make your own. Even I managed to make a bow drill set with Sycamore for both drill and hearth, I've also used birch.
The bow is generally whatever stick looks the best shape with cheap paracord for the string, (best thing for the cheap stuff) It's good for a good dozen sessions but does take a lot of skill to actually make fire.

Good luck

JFW

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Kath, I think you are better off making your own out of the materials that surround you. The reason being, it will make you more proficient at finding the right materials and you will be better served knowing what works in your own geography. I tend to collect materials everywhere I go. I try them to find out what works and what doesn't. For the bearing block I have persoanlly found that a thick sea shell works better than any other bearing block material I have personally used. It has far less friction. Here is a little thing I did up a couple of weeks ago on Sonoran desert materials.

Bowdrill in the Sonoran Desert

Half the fun for me is getting my knife out and building my own kit for free.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
That would be criminal!

Although I might bottle air and sell that - or maybe I could sell wishes? :rolmao:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Gary,
editied my post, before seeing yours, to make it less mercenary. :biggthump

I'm not that tight.... well I am actually :rolmao:

Cheers

JFW

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
No worries mate I was being facicious too, but that is a good point.

Kath, save your money, if you really want a set I will carve you one and send it up as a pressie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE