Bow making course!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , until someone comes along and posts someone elese, you may want to try this guy.

http://www.customarchery.net/

I got his details from David Budds Website.

For the record , I have not done a course with either of them , its was just the 1st thing to spring to mind.

HTH:)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Forest Knights are excellent. Wayne Jones leads, and either Dave Sinfield or Peter Broad provide the expert bowyery and they will bring along some of their mouth-watering self-bows to keep you motivated. You start with a split log and leave three days later with a shooting bow which you have the opportunity to try out at the end. Here's a pic of what I made on my course to tempt you :

P1020514.jpg

At here's me on the course :

WayneDavePeterandRichard.jpg

and a few of the tasty finished products :

P1020364.jpg

Wayne's woods are a very nice spot to spend a few days, and I also really like the amiable, relaxed but professional atmosphere (I find some other bushcraft "instructors" a bit up themselves by comparison). Food is great too and nothing is too much trouble.

Be warned, once you stray down the bow-making and archery path it's addictive. Feel free to PM with further questions.

No connection etc

NS

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I would suggest my course as well, but the guy who runs it for me (david sinfield, as it happens) has inconsiderately gone and emigrated to France! GIT!

I'm working on finding another tutor though. If anybody knows a good bowyer who can teach and is willing to come to Devon and run a course for me, then please let me know! They are always good and fully attended so far :) Shame I won't have any this year :(

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Just to let you know David and Peter are still helping me run Bow Making Courses in Sussex despite David moving to France to set up Bote de Cote with Forest Knights providing camping and bushcraft skills courses.

Our courses will either in held at our main woodland site or at Amberley Museum in the new Greenwood Working Village we have created this winter.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hmm If you start with a split log - does this mean that some of these bows are made green or is it a dried out piece before you start the course?
From what i read you need to use dry wood right?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hmm If you start with a split log - does this mean that some of these bows are made green or is it a dried out piece before you start the course?
From what i read you need to use dry wood right?

The wood for the course this weekend was cut early Jan. You want wood that is not green but is not as hard as nails when learning to tiller properly.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I did the Woodsmoke course last year. Werner is the chap that comes over from Namibia to teach, he's a fantastic chap and the course is excellent. Plus the site has a lovely Tarn which after last years heat and a 5 hour drive was flippin divine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE