Bow Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
I need to demonstrate the bow drill to my scout group. So far all I've managed to get from a bow drill is a loud, high pitched squeaking sound and a tiny bit of smoke. No sign of the blackened "wood dust" though.
Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I'm using soft wood for the hearthboard and spindle, and a shoelace for the bowstring. The bowstring isn't slipping, and (I think) I'm putting enough pressure on the spindle.
So what could the problem be? Am I putting too much pressure on the spindle, or not enough? Am I moving the bow too fast or two slow? Is softwood (not pine) the right material to use?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Squealing usually implies the wood is slightly damp or you're not applying enough pressure.
Sometimes the end of the spindle can get polished too so scrape that off with your knife.

It's probably not enough downward pressure though mate.

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Yeah that's what my dad thought, because when he tried it he got a lot more heat and no squealing.
The end of the spindle isnt polished though, just cut the end off and re shaped it... still no dust

JamieG

Jan 3, 2010
North Somerset
Have you tried other woods such as hazel/lime (drill/baseboard) combination. I have used these a lot demonstrating Bow Drill technique to my Scout Troop.
Hope this helps.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Beech will work and it's easy to ID in the dark as it'll have lots of beech mast:

beech_mast.jpg

...littering the ground underneath it.

Good chance there'll be lots of fallen branches too - beech is like that so ideal for dead wood collection really. Take care if it's windy and you're scrubbing about under beech trees.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
hazel drill with an ivy hearth is a winner or you can make both bits from sycamore, although sycamore does wear really fast

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Thanks for the tips guys
I just went out and got a couple of likely-looking sticks but unfortunately it's been raining for hours and they're soaked. I've left them on the radiator to dry and hopefully the centres will be dry enough to use once I've chopped off the outside.
Wish me luck!

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Well, that went well.
In my demo, i got a few wisps of smoke and a bit of heat but nothing else.
The scouts got the same result.
Then we teamed up, one scout putting pressure on the top rock, me using the bow.
It was so close!
We almost had enough black dust to make an ember, but I chose that moment to tighten the bow slightly and the spindle popped out of the socket!

I'm giving up for now, but I'll be back, bowdrill!
Fred

EDIT: I used and elder spindle on a treated pine hearthboard. Who says you can't use pine? I thought that the hole in the elder would stop it from working, but it worked fine! I just need a bit more practice

JamieG

Jan 3, 2010
North Somerset
How did you try and tighten the bow, I have my bow with a fixed string and use my hand to then squeeze as necessary whilst bowing thereby not needing to alter speed.
You could try letting the scouts take one end each of the bow and you or another on the downward pressure on the drill.
Make sure that the bearing block is not giving too much friction, a small piece of green leaf in the hole as a bit of lubricant.
I have seen a crown bottletop bashed into a piece of wood and the spindle located in a dimple.
Hope this helps with the next time you give it a whirl.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I used and elder spindle on a treated pine hearthboard. Who says you can't use pine? I thought that the hole in the elder would stop it from working, but it worked fine! I just need a bit more practice

That combo works for me.

Keep at it. Great that you have the scouts involved. When you have it cracked it will not take the scouts long to get there if they work in small teams.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE