bluebells and Romans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
twas a fine day here in sunny wiltshire and so the kelly kettle was packed and off we went to explore Grovely wood near Salisbury,we saw all manner of wild flowers as well as one or two bluebells:

Roman road Grovely wood,wiltshire. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

whats it called? by fishfish_01, on Flickr

wild strawberry by fishfish_01, on Flickr

DSC04724 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

primrose. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

bluebells. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

bluebells. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

roe deer by fishfish_01, on Flickr

and on the way out of the woods we paused at the parish church of Great Wishford and took a pic of the wall which has the prices of bread for the last 200 years immortalised in stone:

price of bread for 200 years by fishfish_01, on Flickr

and passed a top secret military establishment on the way home:

really? by fishfish_01, on Flickr

lol

all in all a lovely day spent where we feel at home.
thanks for looking.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Fish, i'll put my neck on the line and say the first one looks like a Common Dog Violet, the second a Wood Anemone and the third Herb Robert (we're the stems red?). Can't help with the fourth as I haven't a clue. Will hit the books and if I find anything useful will pop back unless someone beats me to it.
Hope this helps - a

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yep, excellent day out and pics.

As others have said
Violet - either sweet violet or dog violet. Only way to tell them apart is to smell it. Sweet violet has a sweet perfume, dog violet has no smell at all. Incidentally, <Lecture mode on> if a plant had 'dog' in its name (dog violet, dog's mercury, dog rose etc) it means that it is of low quality, fit only for dogs. <Lecture mode off>
Wood anemone
Herb Robert
Yellow archangel, with ground ivy behind it - try eating the tips of yellow archangel for an unusual but pleasant flavour

Below the strawberry is Hedge garlic, also called garlic mustard.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yep, excellent day out and pics.

As others have said
Violet - either sweet violet or dog violet. Only way to tell them apart is to smell it. Sweet violet has a sweet perfume, dog violet has no smell at all. Incidentally, <Lecture mode on> if a plant had 'dog' in its name (dog violet, dog's mercury, dog rose etc) it means that it is of low quality, fit only for dogs. <Lecture mode off>
Wood anemone
Herb Robert
Yellow archangel, with ground ivy behind it - try eating the tips of yellow archangel for an unusual but pleasant flavour

Below the strawberry is Hedge garlic, also called garlic mustard.

Wondered what the dog part meant thanks. My play area is full of dog mercury and violet.
Great pics fish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE