Blackcurrents jam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
So after harvesting 6kg of blackcurrents from the father inlaws garden I went about making some jam. I kept half the harvest 3kg and stewed 2kg of the blackcurrents for later ideas or more jam making as I ran out of sugar lol. So to make the jam throw the 1kg of blackcurrents in a pan a half pint of water and boil till they soften and begin breaking down. Whilst boiling down throw a plate in the freezer. (All will be explained later) add 1kg of caster sugar. Allow sugar to dissolve for a good few mins stiring regularly. Now remove the now cold plate from the freezer. Using a teaspoon. Put a bit of the jam mix on the plate. It should be chilled by the plate and turn to a solid/jelly jam state. If not font panic just keep boiling and carrying out the plate test every five mins u should have jam. Pre heat you jam jars in an oven to sterilise. Remove from oven and pour your jam in and put the lid on as it all cools down it will create a vacume in the jar and help to preserve the jam for longer.

I had some on toast this morning and it was sweet but still slightly tart how I like it but u can adjust to taste by adding sugar you can taste test when making the jam but be very careful it will burn you badly if you don't let a spoon full cool properly.

Enjoy!!!!
2yve2yme.jpg
anepy8e9.jpg
eby7yrem.jpg
e7e2y5ez.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Raspberry and Blackcurrent jams are the kings of jams. So much better than that wishy-washy pretender Strawberry. Looks a good colour and gloss in the photographs. Hope you enjoy it.
ATB,
GB.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thankyou it was a first time jam making for me. It is very tasty if i say so myself. I am very happy with the outcome. It's sweet but has a very slight sharpness but not too much and it's not to sweet that it overpowers the blackcurrents flavour. All round win. It spreads on toast well too. I was going to strain the jam mix before putting it in the jars to make it smooth but i am glad I didn't now. And the great thing is i have 2kg of strewed blackcurrents for more jam or other ideas. May be vanilla and blackcurrents ice cream.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Vanilla will probably be overwhelmed by blackcurrant - its beautiful with strawberry though. Jam making is great...our plan this year is to make and bottle our own pectin - its another thing not to have to buy :)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Good job. I love the stuff too. There's plenty of pectin in black currants, a few years back I went 50/50 currants/sugar and the jam set like a hard winegum :D kids loved it but a wee bit sweet for me and difficult to spread. With 25% less sugar it's about just right for me, both the set and the zesty taste.

I stopped pre heating my jars, I just pour the hot jam in whilst still boiling and seal with a press top lid. The first none sealing jar I've had was this year and that was down to a poor lid fit, so the first to be scoffed. I find it keeps and keeps with the self seal vacuum method. It'll need to as I actually have more black currant jam this year than I'm used to having.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
That's interesting as I used a 50/50 mix but following Internet instructions add 750ml of water and it took a long time of boiling to get a jam. I guess if I hadn't of added the water at all I would have ended up with a winegum type end result.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I didn't use pectin just fruit and sugar but I guess a fruit with low natural pectin it would be very useful

Just so - strawberry needs it, but not blackcurrant (for example). Jam is great fun - do keep trying other fruits and flavours - some are surprising - I made lavender jelly some years ago - sounds awful but tastes great!

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
That's interesting as I used a 50/50 mix but following Internet instructions add 750ml of water and it took a long time of boiling to get a jam. I guess if I hadn't of added the water at all I would have ended up with a winegum type end result.

I just use neat fruit and sugar. I did 8kgs the other day there and despite having a big pot I did it as a game of 4 halfs, each batch was slightly different with sugar content, the last kilo I did 55/50 winegum-esque-stylie for the kids. The rest around 750g per kilo of fruit. One tip I did get was to include the red unripe currants as apparently these are even pectin richer than the ripe currant which helps with cutting down the sugar a bit.

Just so - strawberry needs it, but not blackcurrant (for example). Jam is great fun - do keep trying other fruits and flavours - some are surprising - I made lavender jelly some years ago - sounds awful but tastes great!

I will, lavender jelly sounds, interesting :D

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I am definitely a Jam making convert after doing Wild Cherry jam the other week. Looking forward to doing some blackberry jam later on in the season.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thanks for all the tips and tricks people. Sounds like there are some pro jam makers out there. I will keep playing around with it. I have some gooseberrys that I stewed and have frozen for a crumble but I think it would make a lovely jam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE