Bizarre question - is a sub-3" locking or fixed blade legal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Is a sub-3" locking or fixed blade legal?
I think the answer is obvious however I have a couple of sub 3" fixed blades that I like and was wondering if maybe I should start using them over my Moras etc.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
In what sense do you mean legal?

If it's for an EDC carry then it's illegal to carry a locking or fixed blade regardless of length on you unless you have a justifiable reason.

Carrying them in your backpack to or from a bushcraft activity would usually be considered an justifiable reason. In your pocket on a train to said bushcraft activity wouldn't.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
In what sense do you mean legal?

If it's for an EDC carry then it's illegal to carry a locking or fixed blade regardless of length on you unless you have a justifiable reason.

Carrying them in your backpack to or from a bushcraft activity would usually be considered an justifiable reason. In your pocket on a train to said bushcraft activity wouldn't.
That is what I thought to be honest.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
3 inches only ever applies to NON locking knives.

Locking knives and fixed blades are treated the same by the law.

A NON locking knife OVER 3 inches is also treated the same as a fixed blade or locking knife.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE