bivy bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
i was wondering were i could find cheap bivy bags all the ones iv seen are over £40 -50 also could i use one of the oringe servival bags as a cheap bivy untill i find a proper one or would i just get wetter in side it cuz its not breathable?

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I would not use an orange plastic one it will keep you warm but the condensation will soak you so when you climb out of it you will start to get cold.

Orange survival bags are not really designed for use with a sleeping bags.

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
hi there,
you are right about plastic bivvy bags making you wet with condensation - i got some quality GoreTex ones from an army surplus store in the midlands for around £30 - £40, but there's probably one closer to you :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I purchased one from Johnsons of Leeds (army surplus) yesterday for £30

Actually got an Arctic issue down bag and bivvy for £50 - bargain I thought.

Have you looked on ebay - if you look around (Falklands & Gulf War also) you can pick them up for £20 +p&p if you`re lucky

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I usually carry an orange bag, especially in the hills, but would not use it as a bivi bag its primary purpose is to act as a signal if you get into trouble.

On a recent first aid course we discussed their usefulness with mountain rescue personnell, as there are bothy bags and bivi bags that do the job lots better and the concensus was if someone sees the orange bag they will usually call out rescue but if they see a bothy bag it is assumed a group is having a break and ignore it, bivi bags just dont get seen!

The British army bags are excellent for the money, but if I find a decent priced Dutch bag my british one is going to get passed on to my daughter!

PS make sure it is the brownish gore tex british one, there was a nasty green non breathable one issued with arctic bags for a while!

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Evil-bay always have plenty, depending on the wording they go for between £25-£35.00

If the wording includes "Ray Mears", it ends up closer to the £35.00 figure.

I bought mine from evilbay, and used the words "goretex and bag" to include as wide a variety of options as possible, and picked up a brand new DPM goretex for £35.00 incl postage.

TC

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Alright Gaz,

If you ever venture to Liverpool, there is a hop on whitechapel called Callans, they do them for £30/£35, but after the train or bus fair that'll be another £4.

Best bet is to use www.outdoorcode.co.uk the guy is andy, he's really helpful, and with cheap postage to, much cheaper than going to town each time you need a new bit of kit. And the best bit is he knows his stuff from all the praise you read across the site for him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE