bivvying routines (bivvy bag)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
yes mate got pics will rezise and post them later. My minds working overtime now on what might work the goretex sounds like a poss I have a firend who is a seamstress.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Great thread! I've had a bivi bag for probably 10 years and only used it 2-3 times. I haven't found it to be that useful. I carry an 8x10 silnylon tarp that weighs less than a pound and provides more than sufficient shelter in the worst thunderstorms that I've ever encountered. My bivi only weighs in at about a little over a pound (20 ounces) but it's weight that provides no benefit so I've pretty much quit carrying it. From the thread, it sounds like everyone recommends carrying a tarp or poncho with a bivi. Way not just carry an slightly larger tarp for less weight than the combined setup?? Maybe you guys can help me see the error of my ways :) .

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
plus I put the thermarest 3/4 inside the bivvy which I think worked well but I did slide a lot. I used the end of a karrimat that I cut to use as a sit mat to make up the shortfall in length.

Thats a good idea. Im finding my 3/4 is making my feet a tad chilly, and ive been thinking of taking a sit mat to prevent compressing the sleeping bag, or when hammocking, just to sit on when cooking round the fire.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Scrogger, we could have been renamed Simon & Garfunkel that night, as we were both 'slip slidin' away' :rolleyes:
TBH, the pitch wasn't really too steep as my other rollmat with 'textured' surface would have been fine. Our self-inflating mats have to take some blame for that, I reckon.
Lesson learned.
My 3/4 mat was long enough for me at 6'2" as I use the sleeping bag stuffsac (on top of my sitmat) filled with spare clothing as a pillow, enabling me to locate the mat about 8" further down the bivi. I sleep in the semi-fetal position anyhow, so saving a few more inches to boot.
Had it been considerably less that the 2 degrees C that it was that night, I'd have taken my full length/width sleepmat.
Cracking spot, though ;)

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I've an ex-army bag but so far not used it. One question I have is if the weather is bad to really bad, do you use some form of sheet/lofting (leaves, etc) under the bag to help keep the water from coming in through the lowest side? Or are they really that waterproof?

Chris

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
A Cracking spot it was !! made all the more better with the clear skys all the stars and the really bright moon. Looking forward to the next trip im sure it must get easier and more comfy as you go along.

I saw a thread on Thermal mugs on here so im gonna get me one of those to make a brew in before bedding down then if I wake up chilly or bored I can have a hot drink without messing with stove and pans etc.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE