Birch tar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
I have seen birch tar oil for sale but is it possible to buy birch tar? I know I could make it myself but I doubt my local landowners would be too happy if I went hacking their trees about.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I dont know if you can buy it and i doubt it, but try contacting your local foresters department through the council or forest/woodland or country park rangers, most will cut down birch quite regularly (i know they are in Epping forest at the moment) they may allow you to gather some from the felled trees(they usually stack them up and leave them to biodegrade), what do you want it for buddy :confused:

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Paganwolf said:
I dont know if you can buy it and i doubt it

I doubted it too but it always worth asking. I was going to use it as an adhesive.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I know nothing about tars and oils but this place might help you, I used to deliver there and they seem to have every kind of oil there is. The guy that runs it is a little eccentric and if he doesnt have it he will probably be able to get it if it is gettable.

http://www.livergrease.co.uk/index.htm

Btw Its not "LIVER" grease as in the organ but Livergrease from Liverpool!
Hope this helps

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Thanks Goose. Mr Wylie confirmed that you can't buy birch tar in the UK but I've told him the properties I require and he's going to get back to me.

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Gluing together a primitive pot. I was also thinking of using some to haft a stone blade.
Having scoured the web for the nth time I've found it stopped being produced commercially in the 50's so I was a bit late in asking :eek: . It was also used as 'chewing gum' in prehistoric times but I won't be that giving much of a go as it's probably seriously carcinogenic.
Enough info? :)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Not Bob said:
Gluing together a primitive pot. I was also thinking of using some to haft a stone blade.
Having scoured the web for the nth time I've found it stopped being produced commercially in the 50's so I was a bit late in asking :eek: . It was also used as 'chewing gum' in prehistoric times but I won't be that giving much of a go as it's probably seriously carcinogenic.
Enough info? :)
Yup sorry mate just seen it :eek: sounds great lets see some pickys when your done... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE