Bio soap????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
I use Dr Bronners organic castille liquid soap, no palm oil only jojoba, hemp, olive and coconut oil.
I prefer unscented liquid soap for camping out in the wilds, they do make soap bars but I think they are scented
The only bad side is the carbon footprint from USA

Cheers Andy

huntsmanbob

Jul 9, 2009
norwich
I use Dr Bronners organic castille liquid soap, no palm oil only jojoba, hemp, olive and coconut oil.
I prefer unscented liquid soap for camping out in the wilds, they do make soap bars but I think they are scented
The only bad side is the carbon footprint from USA

Cheers Andy

I like the teatree one

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
hey

check out savonne de marseille (i hope the spelling is correct)...it is a soap that basically consits of olive oil and hydroxide...it is nothing fancy but there are not many ingridients ;) and it is completely bio degradable (at least its what they advertise). it is also cheap ;)

cheers

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
I own a restaurant and we have a gent that takes our old fryer oil, he uses it for all types of products. One of the things he makes is soap, he says it's eco friendly and safe to use. I can ask him how he makes it if you like. I use it in the shop to wash my hands and it works great.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When making soap you use fat and lye (NaOH or KOH, either will do, the result is slightly different, but still soap). The trick is to get the proportions right; too much lye and you get a harsh soap that will turn your skin red, too little and you will have too much fat left to get clean. If you google for "lye (calculator OR index) AND soap" you will find a lot of sites with lists of how much lye to use for any given fat. And for real life soaps you will aim for something like 5-8% excess fat (better for your skin).

Any real soap is totally biodegradable, unless someone has decided to add some strange stuff (preservatives, bacteriocides, whatever).

For those of you who may recall any of your school chemistry
The fats are triglycerides, and when you add the lye you will get glycerine and a sodium (or potassium) salt of the fatty acid. The lye index is simply a convenient way to expess the molar ratio; you need three moles of OH^- ions for each mole of triglyceride.

I have set of lab instructions that I use with my chemistry students, I could translate them into English if anyone is really interested. Perfectly doable in the kitchen, but while it only takes an hour or two to make the soap (and you can easilly make soap for your familly for a year in one batch) it will take a few weeks before it is ready to use.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
All good stuff gents! I may bite the bullet and have a go myself!!
Can anyone point me in the right direction,any tutorials on here to help me get started!?
( not beeing lazy,I will do my reading up! However it would be great to see what folks from the forum have to say on the matter!)
Many thanks.
Chris.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did a tutorial on here a while ago

Can't search right now but hopefully a search will turn it up

Red

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Question for Red ( or anyone else who may know!!)
Is the Stockholm Tar not too thick to mix in with the other ingredients!?
Is that why it 'traces' so quickly? Would warming it through first help?
I am realy after a proper pine tar soap,not just one that smells a bit like it!
and so hope to use some pine tar,any further advice would be great!
Many thanks.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE