Bio soap????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
After a conversation with Jase I have wanted to get a cheap and easy bio/enviro friendly soap.
Now the spec must allow me to use the 'soap' for dishes, washing clothes inc wool, and washing hair and body.
So what do you use?
The only thing that I have found so far is Sunlight pure soap......this seems to tick most of the boxes but not sure about how biodegradable/envirofriendly it is?
I've looked at some of the bio washing up liquids but they have warnings about getting it in your eyes which sounds like fun to wash with.
Your thoughts please Dave
Ps lets not talk about fat and wood ash...:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Check the ingredients of all soaps and detergents. Anything with palm oil is about as enviromentally friendly as agent orange :(

This oil is produced from trees grown in massive monoculture plantations established after the rainforest is cut down.

Can't find an ingredient list on Sunlight online. If they wont state what fat base they use - avoide them

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Check the ingredients of all soaps and detergents. Anything with palm oil is about as enviromentally friendly as agent orange :(

This oil is produced from trees grown in massive monoculture plantations established after the rainforest is cut down.

Can't find an ingredient list on Sunlight online. If they wont state what fat base they use - avoide them

Red

Didn't have the ingredients on the packet either!!!
Ok back to the drawing board....glycerine soap???
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hmnnn..Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:05:02 -0800

Different formulations in different countries? Haven't seen bar soap
for a long time but cakes of Sunlight bath soap here (Australia) are
labelled as 'pure soap'. Don't know what is normally added to 'unpure'
soap but the ingredients listed on the packet of Sunlight soap are:
Sodium tallowate, water, sodium cocoate, and/or sodium palm kernelate,
glycerin, fragrance, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, etidronic acid,
tetrasodium EDTA.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sodium palm kernelate is the evil stuff

Pure olive oil soap is good stuff - less than a quid from Holland and Barrett.

Oliva - Pure Olive Oil Soap
Made from pure unrefined olive oil, Oliva is kind and gentle to the skin.Oliva is not tested on animals, contains no artificial colours or perfumes, is completelyvegetarian. 100% biodegradable

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1088

I see no reason why it won't work on hair, clothes or pots :)

Red

Last edited:

forestwalker

Or make your own. Our latest batch was about 2/3 moose and 1/3 coconut fat (the latter from the grocery store, the former "obtained directly from the original producer"). Many other fats can be used. No, you do not need any very special equipment (a thermometer and a mixing wand is as special as it gets.)

Any soap you want to use on your body will be a somewhat poor dishwashing detergent; you want the soap to have an excess fat content (i.e. some of the fat is not saponified), but you want your dishes as fat free as possible. But sure, the bar of soap you use on your hands and face will help clean your dishes. And just about anything works on your clothes, at least for field porpoises.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll also go along with the Olivia olive oil soap. It looks like a solid square bar of carbolic, but it's not. It is good for all the things you want from soap and I can recommend it from personal experience.

Eric

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
To be honest I first started looking for something to wash wool with.
I have been using soap flakes for wool but the missus hates the smell ( to be honest it does smell a bit milky.)
So was looking at 100% soap for that purpose then read that it said suitable for washing plates and body. The negative is the palm oil which I didn't think about so will not be buying it again.
The olive oil looks the way to go wonder if it would be ok on wool.
Ta Dave

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I have just ordered some 2% pine tar soap from the 'Carbolic soap company'
( my old fav 'Granppars wonder pine tar soap' used palm oiul,this one doesn't,is made in the UK,and comes in a 200g ,tripple milled bar! Check it out! )
Hope this is of help.
Chris.

Greenbeast

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
Northiam, East Sussex
yeah any 'proper' soap will work, those involving fat/oil and sodium (or potassium) hydroxide not these modern detergent bars

i make all my own from various fats and oils

i use it for body and clothes and dishes (don't wash my hair with anything but water) and its biodegradable

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE