Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
Her infinite variety. Other women cloy
The appetites they feed, but she makes hungry
Where most she satisfies, for vilest things
Become themselves in her, that the holy priests
Bless her when she is riggish.

View attachment 29714View attachment 29715View attachment 29716

Must say Colin I hired a young lass a couple of years ago (to work in a shop before Cousin Peter gets the wrong idea!) who was the spitting image of the beautiful Charlotte Rampling. I mentioned this to her a while later and she had no idea who she was. Must be an age thing. Did you see her in Cleanskin with professional Northerner Sean Bean? Quite a good film though the continuity man needed shot in a couple of places.

Also Charlotte must be all right as we share a birthday!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Battle of Näfels Day!

Biker!, upon this day in the year of our Lord 1388 the Battle of Näfels; Glarius Swiss defeat Habsburg (Austrian) army.

The Battle of Näfels was fought on 9 April 1388 between Glarus with their allies, the Old Swiss Confederation, and the Habsburgs. It was a decisive Glarner victory despite being outnumbered sixteen to one.
The Battle of Näfels was the last battle of the Swiss-Austrian conflicts that stretched through most of the 14th Century. A few weeks after the Battle of Sempach on 9 July 1386, the Old Swiss Confederation attacked and besieged the Habsburg village of Weesen on the Walensee. The following year, Glarus rose up against the Habsburgs and destroyed Burg Windegg. Then, on 11 March 1387, the town council declared themselves free of Habsburg control.
In response, on the night of 21–22 February 1388, an Austrian army attacked the village of Weesen and drove off the Swiss forces. In the beginning of April, two Austrian armies marched out to cut off Glarus from the rest of the Confederation. The main army, with about 5,000 men, marched toward Näfels under the command of the Graf Donat von Toggenburg and the Knight Peter von Thorberg. A second column, with about 1,500 men under the command of Graf Hans von Werdenberg-Sargans, marched over the Kerenzerberg Pass.

On 9 April 1388 the main army, under Toggenburg and Thorberg, attacked and captured the fortifications around Näfels. The garrison held out for a short time, but was forced to retreat. This force contained the local garrison, about 400 Glarner troops and a few dozen troops from both Schwyz and Uri. As they retreated, the Austrian army spread out to plunder the village and farms. They retreated into the nearby hill and as the Austrian army spread out, the Glarners marched back out into the snow and fog to attack the Austrians. The Austrians, disorganized while looting the town, and confused by the snow and fog were surprised by the Glarner attack.
Following a brief battle, the disorganized Austrians broke and fled toward Weesen. The collapse of the bridge over the Maag or Weeser Linth dropped much of the Austrian army into the river where they drowned. Seeing the destruction of the main column, Werdenberg-Sargans' army retreated to the village of Beglingen (now in the municipality of Mollis). The Glarner and Confederation army had about 54 men killed, who were buried at the parish church of Mollis. Habsburg losses are less well known, though are estimated to be between several hundred killed and 1,700. On 29 November 1389, the Abbot Bilgeri had about 180 bodies moved from the battle field and reburied at Rüti Abbey.
In 1389, a seven-years' peace was signed at Vienna, leaving the Confederation in undisputed possession of all the territory they had acquired in the recent war. In the same year, the first Näfelser Fahrt, a pilgrimage to the site of the battle was held. This pilgrimage, which still occurs, happens on the first Thursday in April and is in memory of the battle. The pilgrimage played an important role in the creation of the unified canton of Glarus.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's not a bad film at all actually. I saw it waaay back in 205 and thought the CGI graphics to it were very impressive. Seemed to me very Manga influenced as well as film noir.
1809 years ago Pa! I knew you were knocking on a bit being the lord of Darkness and all but I didn't think film was invented then. Must've been your special powers at play again.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
1809 years ago Pa! I knew you were knocking on a bit being the lord of Darkness and all but I didn't think film was invented then. Must've been your special powers at play again.

Muttering.... brain transplants..... lots and lots of brain transplants...... which of us will it be this time? :yikes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Biker! Happy Safety Pin Day!

Biker!, pin back your ears and get yer nappy on as today in 1849 - the safety pin patented by Walter Hunt (NYC); sold rights for $400.

A useful bit of bushcraft to keep in your possibles pouch, the The safety pin, also known as a baby pin, is a variation of the regular pin which includes a simple spring mechanism and a clasp. The clasp serves two purposes: to form a closed loop thereby properly fastening the pin to whatever it is applied to, and to cover the end of the pin to protect the user from the sharp point.
Safety pins are commonly used to fasten pieces of fabric or clothing together. They were widely used to fasten cloth diapers (nappies), as the safety clasp prevents the baby from being jabbed. Similarly, they can be used to patch torn or damaged clothing. Safety pins can also be used as an accessory or jewellery, such as earrings, chains, and wristbands. Sometimes they are used to attach an embroidered patch.

Walter Hunt (July 29, 1796 – June 8, 1859) was an American mechanic. He was born in Martinsburg, New York. Through the course of his work he became renowned for being a prolific inventor, notably of the lockstitch sewing machine (1833), safety pin (1849), a forerunner of the Winchester repeating rifle, a successful flax spinner, knife sharpener, streetcar bell, hard-coal-burning stove, artificial stone, street sweeping machinery, the velocipede, and the ice plough.
Walter Hunt did not realize the significance of many of these when he invented them; today, many are widely used products. He thought little of the safety pin, selling the patent for a paltry sum of $400 (roughly $10,000 in dollars) to the company W R Grace and Company, to pay a man to whom he owed $15. He failed to patent his sewing machine at all, because he feared that it would create unemployment among seamstresses. (This led to an 1854 court case when the machine was re-invented by Elias Howe; Hunt's machine shown to have design flaws limiting its practical use). In seeking patents for his inventions, Hunt used the services of Charles Grafton Page, a patent solicitor who had previously worked at the US Patent Office. Like Howe, Hunt is buried in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York.

The fibula, a form of a brooch, was invented by the Myceaneans on the Greek Peloponnesus between the 13th and 14th Century BC, and is considered an early precursor to a safety pin since they were used in a similar manner. However, it had major flaws. It had no clasp or spring at the end to help put it in place. Over the centuries, the fibula became forgotten.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Ha-ha Cousin Pedro, that scene at the end still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck! Great film.

sorry goat boy but I've been got too, just a cunning ruse, he's had me playing you ever since the start, even with such posts as the "paranoia pays off in the end". The play spat with midnighthound was to bring you to the surface. Huon was turned with that back in november, we knew you where going to bobs for christmas, but we couldn't get to bob early enough, he was taken over in febuary. Well theres only you left now.veronica-cartwright-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers.jpg

quite a prolific inventor that safety pin fella, up there with eddison, tesla, and Jefferson was it fella wilth the lightening conductor. Didn't patent the sewing machine due to the fact that he thought he would put seamstresses out of business, how wrong he was, also up with the luddites, and the naysayers of the train, who believed going into a tunnel at over 20mph would kill you.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I could have gone with this, View attachment 29767 but it reminded me too much of Kribe, and I didn't want to scare Huon.

well theres hell raiser, candyman, IT, Spawn, event horizon, and exorcist for girl to rob. One film I could never get my head round was Pi, a man who thinks he can predict the stock market and ends up lobottomising himself with a drill, alot like Gordom Brown boom boom.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
bit more midsummer nights dream. The prologue of the play, in the play.

If we offend, it is with our good will.
That you should think, we come not to offend,
But with good will. To show our simple skill,
That is the true beginning of our end.
Consider then we come but in despite.
We do not come as minding to contest you, Our true intent is. All for your delight
We are not here. That you should here repent you,
The actors are at hand and by their show
You shall know all that you are like to know.

Gentles, perchance you wonder at this show;
But wonder on, till truth make all things plain.
This man is Pyramus, if you would know;
This beauteous lady Thisby is certain.
This man, with lime and rough-cast, doth
present Wall, that vile Wall which did these lovers
sunder;
And through Wall's chink, poor souls, they are
content
To whisper. At the which let no man wonder.
This man, with lanthorn, dog, and bush of thorn,
Presenteth Moonshine; for, if you will know,
By moonshine did these lovers think no scorn
To meet at Ninus' tomb, there, there to woo.
This grisly beast, which Lion hight by name,
The trusty Thisby, coming first by night, Did scare away, or rather did affright;
And, as she fled, her mantle she did fall,
Which Lion vile with bloody mouth did stain.
Anon comes Pyramus, sweet youth and tall,
And finds his trusty Thisby's mantle slain:
Whereat, with blade, with bloody blameful blade,
He bravely broach'd is boiling bloody breast;
And Thisby, tarrying in mulberry shade,
His dagger drew, and died. For all the rest,
Let Lion, Moonshine, Wall, and lovers twain
At large discourse, while here they do remain. Exeunt Prologue, Thisbe, Lion, and Moonshine.

The iron tongue of midnight hath told twelve:
Lovers, to bed; 'tis almost fairy time.
I fear we shall out-sleep the coming morn
As much as we this night have overwatch'd.
This palpable-gross play hath well beguiled
The heavy gait of night. Sweet friends, to bed. A fortnight hold we this solemnity,
In nightly revels and new jollity.

Nghty night !

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE