Bike Locks ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I know this is about pushbikes, but this is kind of relavant. A few years ago, a mate of min had one of the first Honda Fire Blades to come into the country. He was totally in love with that bake. He visited another mate who didn't have offroad parking so he padlocked it to a lamp post with the best part of £1000 worth of Abus chains and padlocks. They went to a night club, came back to find the lamp post had been carefully cut down!!!!!!! Over my years of biking, I've heard more than a few stories like that. Logstacker has it right
Locks only buy TIME,not security
and as for thieves not going down the freeze route, you can buy freeze spray at Maplins on the high street. Moral is, if they want it bad enough they'll get it so if you don't want to lose it, don't take your eyes off of it. Depressing aint it :cry:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Yep, locks only buy time and protect you from honest people, but some padlocks buy you more time and protect you from people slightly less than honest ... http://locks.nfesc.navy.mil/HiSecPad.htm ... I think you could hit this with cans of freeze spray from Maplins all day and it would just smile right back at you!

A big part of out problem with security is that we can be cheap about it, rely on junk from abroad or forget to take other sensible measures.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
If you can, it's always useful not just lock your bike, but take the saddle off aswell, maybe even clip off the front wheel if you're feeling really paranoid about having it nicked.
:?:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I know someone who used to wire his brakes the opposite way to normal (left lever for the back or which ever way is not as you buy it). Anyone else riding the bike would go over the bars the first time they tried to use the back brake and squeezed the front one by mistake.

Not 100% effective but more than one way to skin a cat etc.

Bill

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
If oyu have quick release wheels that you can undo the quick realease and take that out but leave the wheels on the bike. You could also release the brakes if oyu run V brakes. The first option is very good if you run hydrolic disc brakes

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Kim said:
If you can, it's always useful not just lock your bike, but take the saddle off as well, maybe even clip off the front wheel if you're feeling really paranoid about having it nicked.
:?:

or change your quick release levers to normal bolts. For me, I've never seen the point in having a quick release saddle. Once I'm setup then I don't change the height. If someone else wants to use it then they can get a spanner out! :lol:

tenbears10 said:
I know someone who used to wire his brakes the opposite way to normal (left lever for the back or which ever way is not as you buy it). Anyone else riding the bike would go over the bars the first time they tried to use the back brake and squeezed the front one by mistake.

Hee hee. Evil. I like it! Did you ever see that TV program where they set criminals up? The one where the bike had spray cans mounted on it?
:eek:):

Andy said:
If you have quick release wheels that you can undo the quick release and take that out but leave the wheels on the bike. You could also release the brakes if you run V brakes. The first option is very good if you run hydrolic disc brakes

Quick release wheels are generally a pain in the behind.
I have 2 bicycles. My mountainbike which I use for going into town (no quick release) and my racer which I use to ride 10.5 miles to work (quick release) The racer gets punctures quite often and so it's good having the quick release and I don't have to worry about locking up the wheels as I put it in a cupboard. The mountain bike used to have quick release but I took them off as it was more effort sorting extra locks out compared to the number of punctures. If I have the kit to sort a puncture out with me then I have a spanner to take the wheel off if necessary anyway.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you can get bits to replace the quirk release. the cheaper ones don't have many combanations but it's still something different. Still very fast to change a wheel if you need to but not something anyone can take off. They will also save weight

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Andy said:
you can get bits to replace the quirk release. the cheaper ones don't have many combanations but it's still something different. Still very fast to change a wheel if you need to but not something anyone can take off. They will also save weight

Do you mean that they're combination lock releses?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
No I'll try and dig out a link for you

The cheap ones have a sort of allen key type thing to allow you to take them off, it's not quite an allen key though as that would defeat the point. I think it might be a five sided thing.

Tyr

Oct 10, 2004
UK N Cyprus Canada off and on
.Yes it did weigh a little, part of the reason why I gave up carrying it all and just decided I would never leave the bike. I didn’t mind so much carrying it all at the time though as I needed the exercise and I had just lost a Rotrax (with all that Campagnolo stuff that took me so long to save for) to some git who I’m sure did not appreciate it and I was damned if I was going to loose my now vintage (well in terms of MTBs anyway) Fisher Pro Caliber. I’ve had the bike for about 15 years now and I’m very attached to it. Not ever leaving it can be a pain but it seems to work.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Rollnick said:
I tried an oxford lock yesterday, they are excellent. Couldnt see anyone breaking through that thing!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo :eek:

A large percentage of round keyed Oxford locks can be picked with a Pilot pen, as much use as a chocolate fireguard :(

These are short clips of the round keyed Oxford locks being picked by a bloke I know on a motorcycle forum, he has no previous experience of picking locks either.

First link THE OXFORD REVOLVER

ANOTHER ONE

Aparently Oxford have been squirming about this but not really doing anything about it for a while now but the pens used didn't even have anything cut into the end, just a plain pen end.

Avoid them like the plague.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I had my cannondale stolen awhile back by some b********d. How i wish to chat about the morality behind property ownership. At the time i was earning less than £5 an Hour and the bike was worth almost £2000. I got £500 from my contents insurance. i now own a nice little cannondale. However it stays locked with a gold standard chain in the lounge bolted to the wall. i never leave it unattended outside. The insurance costs me £200 a year. Just because some little crack head cant keep his sticky mitts off.

I would buy the very best lock you can afford and take with you anything that can easily be removed. Previously i have had 3 saddles nicked as well. At over £50 a peice it gets expensive.

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Few years ago I had a Kirk Revolution nicked, big and heavy but indestructible. It was locked to a big steel hoop with a lock with a guarantee that if my bike got nicked the manufacturer would pay me £3000:D , all I had to do was send the broken/compromised lock back to them. The theiving b*****ds stole the lock as well!!:(

And a few years later some kindly soul followed me home and returned later to remove my Marin from the garage. They had to move three other bikes to get to it, they left the others and just took the Marin. The insurance company paid out for the individual parts that the bike was made from rather than the whole bike 'cos it was worth more than the limit on a bike:D . This was their idea not mine by the way.

Paul

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
A group of kids watched me nervously lean my Diamondback up against the corner shop's window so I could keep an eye on it while I popped in to get a drink.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A CHEAP BIKE."

Shouted the oldest. Can't really argue with his logic....

As Bob Dylan said

"When you got nothin' you got nothin' to lose."

A friend of mine rides a Kona Stinky which cost well over a grand. He can't park it anywhere, and has to be careful when riding in case he gets mugged for his bike.

It's a sad state of affairs when we have a thread dedicated to bicycle theft :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE