Bike Locks ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Watch out anyone who uses a Kensignton or possibly also Targus Laptop or disk lock too ... I've just used this method to successfully bypass these types of locks. Hooking your laptop to something via those cable type affairs is no longer secure ...

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
:yikes: That's pretty amazing! Glad I don't have one of those.

I do know how easy most bike locks are to remove because at work we remove left behind bikes each year. Bolt croppers make short work of them all, even the wire ones (it's knowing where to cut). There's only been one type we couldn't remove and that was a D-lock. We ended up chopping through the bike frame instead! The lock is still attached to the rail, 2 years on.

It's easier to carry a biro than a pair of bolt croppers though. :shock:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have this real heavy-duty lock which is apparently "almost unbreakable". May be so, but it hasnt taken much for a lot of people to try, there are cut marks all up the lock, they couldnt quite manage to get through the wire bit though. Thankfully.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Bloody Hell. They cost what £50 and I would have trusted it to look after a £1000 bike but not any more.

Only question is what do you lock your bike up with now? I know a very big dog :eek:):

That is tounge in cheek but not totally.

Bill

My bike costs more than £1000 and I have a huge chain for it with a D'lock style bit to connect it all together but that is definately not pratical to carry around as it weights a tonne. If you shop around you should be able to find a good lock, something small and tough is always good (when i say small i dont mean thin) you need to figure out if it would be easy to cut through. That type of lock you shown is more of a deterant, if your a bike thief its basically the same as having no lock at all. Kryptonite tend to do some pretty good locks, there should be a good choice of them on www.ultimatepursuits.com.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Stew said:
I do know how easy most bike locks are to remove because at work we remove left behind bikes each year.
I'm curious, Stew. Why do their owners leave bikes and never come back for them??? :?:

L

logstacker

Locks only buy TIME,not security.They are rated bronze,silver or gold ,depending on the amount of "ATTACK" time they can withstand.I used to be a bike messenger,and we would "lean-lock"ie use minimum locking just to disable for a couple of minutes drop-time.Didn`t always work though!Nowadays I use a kryptonite d-lock,AND a cable and padlock to anchor the wheels.It gives the thieving bas***ds more to think about,and buys more...time.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
saw this a while ago over on a mountain bike forum. Not really anything new most locks can be taken off if you know what your doing. Oxford are good but heavy. The trick is to put more then one lock on which will need different methods to get them off.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I tried an oxford lock yesterday, they are excellent. Couldnt see anyone breaking through that thing!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
seen it done with a mini hacksaw. Everything can be taken off it's just a matter of time.

edited to add: it was the AA but no reason why anyone else couldn't do the same

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
OK, hacksaw ... technically carrying that would be illegal anyway ... but a Bic pen????

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Kath said:
I'm curious, Stew. Why do their owners leave bikes and never come back for them??? :?:

I work at a University and we get a large population of international students, particularoly Chinese and Malaysian. They seem to be made of money because a lot leave bikes and throw perfectly good electrical equipment away each year when they go home.

Crazy!!

Tyr

Oct 10, 2004
UK N Cyprus Canada off and on
Yeah I saw the movie, rather depressing really, when I was a kid and I worked in a bike shop I saw a guy freeze a lock and break it in a few seconds but I wasn’t that worried, I didn’t think your average bike thief would be doing it that way.
I used to use 3 kryptonite locks, 2 D locks and a really big sort of chain lock as I really didn’t want to loose the bike. Now my bike isn’t even made anymore I want to loose it even less, so I never lock it but I never ever leave it alone. I personally find it pretty hard sometimes to find something that I’m allowed to lock it to that I actually trust anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE