BG Woodsman B&T Youtube Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
well done on the review, it hit the mark of what you were trying to get across and flowed well. If i was looking to choose a knife, then this review would of helped in my decision making process, as to the sound, well your not the BBC, so i wouldnt worry too much about it, it was clear enough to understand the content. So once again well done, good effort.

The only fault i could find in the whole footage - where were the scantily dressed dancing girls in the background, get them and no one will find any fault with your reviews.....

Col....

leon-1

The knife in question is actually a "Woodsman Bird and Trout" knife. It has specificically been made larger for use as a bushcraft knife as well as the "B & T" use. The Skookum Bush Tool is a similar knife to the one Bernie makes.

Yes I had noticed the similarity between this and the skookum, after all I have the first Skookum in O1, it was a gift from Mors and although it's just semantics, the skookum coming first, I would say that Bernie's knife is very much similar to the Skookum and not the other way around.

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Semantics?
semantics is the definition of a word and the meaning of words
Pedantic is being overly concerned with minute details or formalisms.
I think you mean pedantic and not semantic.
Surely the knives are similar to each other.

Last edited:
Yes I had noticed the similarity between this and the skookum, after all I have the first Skookum in O1, it was a gift from Mors and although it's just semantics, the skookum coming first, I would say that Bernie's knife is very much similar to the Skookum and not the other way around.

which are all a scandi Pukko shape :D same as a Clipper :rolleyes:

tho the Skookum is fairly wide bladed deep bellied for the type the Skookum also has a clip drop from the mid point of 4mm (well the one on the website did :D:22: )

on thsi sort of thing its the detail changes that may or may not make the differnce

ie Bernie grinds radially which wil give a finer tip than one ground vertially to the same angle
one is stronger one is better for fine detail etc etc

ATB

Duncan

leon-1

Semantics?
semantics is the definition of a word and the meaning of words
Pedantic is being overly concerned with minute details or formalisms.
I think you mean pedantic and not semantic.
Surely the knives are similar to each other.

Yes semantics can also be looked at as the study of meaning and not just of a word, but a phrase. By saying one before the other it can be taken that CG was implying that Rod Garcia copied the Bernie Garland knife. This is not so.

It is semantics, but yes you could also say that I was being pedantic in pointing it out. I have no problem with that.

As I said, the similarity between the two knives had not been missed, however I had not mentioned it so as to avoid a "my stick is better than your stick" situation.

Now can we get back on topic please.

Apologies Josh for going off topic.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
cheers fellas,
the knife is basicly a puukko with a full tang, imo combines the best of the pukko (straight spine, high grind) and the bushy (Full tang, contoured handle) with a few extra features.

For anyone who wants to know about the grind, its 9 degrees with a tiny microbevel put on with a shrade old timer honesteel, i now plan to mantain it with a DC4 and a strop.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
ie Bernie grinds radially which wil give a finer tip than one ground vertially to the same angle
one is stronger one is better for fine detail etc etc

ATB

Duncan
the tip is very fine and sharp, the grind keeps the same angle throughout the whole blade,
the tip is strong enough for drilling and battoning, but you wouldnt want to pry open a can of paint with it or anything. i actualy slightly rounded the very fine tip of the tip off when i got it in order to strengthen it. no problems with it.

ATB
Josh

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice video Josh, I enjoyed it and the sound was fine for me.

The knife looks a cracking design. I like Puukko's so if I wanted a full tang bushy knife i'd do one like this in 3mm O1 Carbon, as it does all I could want from a general purpose knife very well.

the tip is very fine and sharp, the grind keeps the same angle throughout the whole blade
ATB
Josh

yes the angle is kept radially ie a consitant grind hight ie paralell to the edge

the other way keeps the angle constant vertically but gives a grind hight that converges towarde the edge so a steeper bevel angle radially :D

would be interested to know the grind depth along the spine to the tip

looking at the skookum some seen to be vertically groiund some radialy the radial ones seem to be the ones with the 4mm clip which would strengthen the tip up again ??

its not a problem but it is a diference and it has an effect on use :D
interestin this knife design game :22::22:

ATB

Duncan

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
yes the angle is kept radially ie a consitant grind hight ie paralell to the edge

the other way keeps the angle constant vertically but gives a grind hight that converges towarde the edge so a steeper bevel angle radially :D

would be interested to know the grind depth along the spine to the tip

looking at the skookum some seen to be vertically groiund some radialy the radial ones seem to be the ones with the 4mm clip which would strengthen the tip up again ??

its not a problem but it is a diference and it has an effect on use :D
interestin this knife design game :22::22:

ATB

Duncan
ill have to show it to you next wilderness gathering mate.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Interesting, the comparison between the B&T and the Skookum. I've always thought that the SBT looks like a pretty horrible knife, personally (never handled one, so that's not a comment on its quality or the quality of steel/HT/geometry) whereas I find the B&T a fine lookin knife, and likely my next purchase. I can see the resemblance though, I'm not sure what it is that makes one look good to me and the other look rubbish - I think the B&T looks narrower, and perhaps with less curve in the cutting edge? I don't know if you've ever handled a Skookum Josh, but perhaps you could shed some light on that?

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
can only see that the problem was the Gift part as Josh HAS vidio reviewd His bought and Payd for BG damascus on here with no problem

any way heres my Pukko /Skookum clone :D i suspect most makers make a similer scandinavian style

I made it originaly to try the style and for me the blade is to wide at 26mm however the 7/8 and 3/4 scale ones are very nice to use :lmao: guess they are closer in width to the Clipper im used to
funny the woodlore profile is better in 3mm and scaled down to :eek::22::22::22:

DPKlhsd.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What on earth is this tripe? Get a grip guys. Spam if anyone has pulled this down it's you wanting to create an issue as usual and it's wearing thin mate. last warning and you can have some time to think about it, you jsut always want to fight and stir.

Why are you lot so quick to take offence? it's a good review, no one's got a problem with Bernie's knives and there's no ongoing problem with him other than the one that some want to create.

Get the thread back on track and talk about the review and the knife not about who suffers from the biggest chip.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Nuff said Tony,I have spoken to Josh about this and we have no beef with each other.
Sorry,I let my emotions get the better of me.
My best.
Chris.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
can only see that the problem was the Gift part as Josh HAS vidio reviewd His bought and Payd for BG damascus on here with no problem

any way heres my Pukko /Skookum clone :D i suspect most makers make a similer scandinavian style

I made it originaly to try the style and for me the blade is to wide at 26mm however the 7/8 and 3/4 scale ones are very nice to use :lmao: guess they are closer in width to the Clipper im used to
funny the woodlore profile is better in 3mm and scaled down to :eek::22::22::22:

DPKlhsd.jpg

ATB

Duncan
i saw a couple of those at your stand at the gathering, look like they would make ideal neckers to compliment a camp knife, love the mosaic pins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE