BG EDC Folder Reveiw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Bernie Garland Sent me down one of his new prototype EDC friction Folders to Test out and give it a proper Trial before he realeases them. This is a new Model Bernie may well be adding to Line of Knives. unfortunatly the copyright infringment on youtube innabled me from adding music.

Enjoy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQF11xxaXl8

The Price of this Knife is to be confirmed as its a new creation.

This is an honest reveiw as i explain the faults and good points of this knife.

Blades084.jpg

Blades086-1.jpg

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
good review Josh, certainly makes me want to get one :)

can i make 1 little remark about something that i noticed in your review? ('cause i like trees :) )

when coppicing, cut as low as you can without damaging the other branches, its healthier for the tree as minimizes risk of infection and also means you don't have a 2-3 foot high spike to catch your face on if bending over new the tree. as always tidy up with a single angled cut so water runs off :)

assuming of course that you didnt go back and tidy up at the time :)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Good review again Josh. I notice you're very fond of the knee brace cutting method. I have always found this a safe and powerful way of cutting through chunky stuff and it's good to see others using it !

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
great review josh i am also thinking of ordering one after seeing the review...atb allan

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Some things I noticed which might help with future videos. Please forgive me if i missed something, I only saw the video once. Please also forgive me for what might seem to be a long list of critical points, I'm not trying to discourage you from making videos -- I'm trying to help you to improve them.

Firstly and most importantly by a very long way, remember that you have no control over your audience, and people looking on might be looking less at the subject matter than at how it is presented. Their reasons for watching might not be reasons you like very much. You might well at some time be faced with people calling you a "knife nut" or something like that. They will use whatever evidence they can lay their hands on, and they may be selective with it and even bend it. You should try to avoid anything which will play into their hands. It is doing exactly that, and it is unprofessional, and it shows your own views in a very poor light ESPECIALLY when you are handling a knife, to refer to law enforcement personnel as "the fuzz". In the opening moments you gave me the distinct impression that you were looking around for examples. This made me feel secondary. The viewer needs to feel more important to you than passers by (or those heading your way to arrest you:)).

It's all right to have a pause in the speech. In fact it's better than saying 'er'. :)

You talked a little about knife law but I don't remember that you mentioned locking folders. I don't remember you stating the exact length of the blade of this knife to explain where it fits into the statutes.

You mentioned the maker's name, but you seem to assume that we'll all know who that is. I understand that you might not want to seem to be advertising, but I think you'd be forgiven for mentioning at least the town and country of origin!

You compared the steel of the tool under review with that used in your Leatherman tool, but the comparison was very off-hand, unreasoned and pejorative. It would be much better to explain a little of your reasoning. The Leatherman is made with stainless steels, and that might easily be more important to someone watching than the edge holding properties of O1.

Generally you spoke a little too quickly and not always clearly. Remember that many people will be listening on systems (like my laptop) which are capable of only very poor quality sound reproduction.

Adding to jonajuna's comment on safety, in engineering we like clothing to be in good condition, as it can be an unnecessary hazard when it catches up with things. Bracelets are also frowned upon. Personally I would always avoid touching the working edge of any cutting tool unless absolutely necessary.

You showed the tang being used with a firesteel but I don't think you explained its most important purpose.

You've done a lot of work to produce your video, you have some good production techniques, and I think it would be helpful to anyone thinking of buying something of that nature.

Thank you.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Some things I noticed which might help with future videos. Please forgive me if i missed something, I only saw the video once. Please also forgive me for what might seem to be a long list of critical points, I'm not trying to discourage you from making videos -- I'm trying to help you to improve them.

Firstly and most importantly by a very long way, remember that you have no control over your audience, and people looking on might be looking less at the subject matter than at how it is presented. Their reasons for watching might not be reasons you like very much. You might well at some time be faced with people calling you a "knife nut" or something like that. They will use whatever evidence they can lay their hands on, and they may be selective with it and even bend it. You should try to avoid anything which will play into their hands. It is doing exactly that, and it is unprofessional, and it shows your own views in a very poor light ESPECIALLY when you are handling a knife, to refer to law enforcement personnel as "the fuzz". In the opening moments you gave me the distinct impression that you were looking around for examples. This made me feel secondary. The viewer needs to feel more important to you than passers by (or those heading your way to arrest you:)).

It's all right to have a pause in the speech. In fact it's better than saying 'er'. :)

You talked a little about knife law but I don't remember that you mentioned locking folders. I don't remember you stating the exact length of the blade of this knife to explain where it fits into the statutes.

You mentioned the maker's name, but you seem to assume that we'll all know who that is. I understand that you might not want to seem to be advertising, but I think you'd be forgiven for mentioning at least the town and country of origin!

You compared the steel of the tool under review with that used in your Leatherman tool, but the comparison was very off-hand, unreasoned and pejorative. It would be much better to explain a little of your reasoning. The Leatherman is made with stainless steels, and that might easily be more important to someone watching than the edge holding properties of O1.

Generally you spoke a little too quickly and not always clearly. Remember that many people will be listening on systems (like my laptop) which are capable of only very poor quality sound reproduction.

Adding to jonajuna's comment on safety, in engineering we like clothing to be in good condition, as it can be an unnecessary hazard when it catches up with things. Bracelets are also frowned upon. Personally I would always avoid touching the working edge of any cutting tool unless absolutely necessary.

You showed the tang being used with a firesteel but I don't think you explained its most important purpose.

You've done a lot of work to produce your video, you have some good production techniques, and I think it would be helpful to anyone thinking of buying something of that nature.

Thank you.

cheers,
i think i need to be clearer speaking, perhaps not say slang like "fuzz" but everything i say and do is off the top of my head, i cant go into detail as much as you would like in one video as i am limited to 10 minuites max of video time on youtube, i can make some more videos explaining such things, but my style is usualy fast paced reveiws and testing, i think that watching a knife in action is better than reading or listening to any specifications.

ATB
Josh

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
so how is this knife going now mate?

have you done any long term whittling/carving (half hour or more?)

I'm really tempted to get my hands on one, although here in Australia if you can't explain a SAK you are in as much trouble as if I had my trusty tactical folder. I just like old school stuff sometimes.

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE