best handheld GPS for around £200

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hello everyone
I am going walking in Scotland and Wales later this year and I need a good GPS unit with some clear mapping maybe O/S and I wondered if anyone has used these before for walking, and opinions on the best one would be useful in helping me choose.
Cheers..

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've never used GPS on land, but earlier this year I had a look at a few units to see how thing had moved on since last time I looked. Before I started looking, I'd more or less decided that I'd buy something.

But I became so terribly frustrated by the whole sprat-to-catch-a-mackerel thing that after a few days I gave up on them.

I'll stick with my paper maps and a compass. A lot cheaper, and a lot more reliable.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I am not a GPS expert, I just use my gps for walking and geocaching, I have a Garmin Etrex 20, which is around £120. it comes with a very basic (if not completely useless map) however you can buy Garmin Birds Eye Select maps for £20 it allows you to select 1,500 sq km of coverage for an area you want (you dont have to use in one chunk) and these maps are far more detailed.

I am sure there are other here that can tell you a lot more. but this is my 2 pence worth.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I haven't used one in 'in anger' but recently got a Garmin eTrex30, and have been playing with it around the local area for a few days. I'm not sure if the extra cash for the 30 (compared to the 20) was worthwhile, as I'd always carry a compass with me in any case. So far, I'd say it is a useful adjunct to good old map and compass, but not something to be relied on.

As mentioned, supplied maps are a complete waste of time, so look for the free maps with contours from Talkytoaster - not as detailed as official OS, but not bad at all and they are regularly updated.

If you have your own OS maps have a look at this thread (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120395&p=1497600#post1497600) for my suggestions on how to get paper maps onto the Garmin. I have been getting very good results, as I wanted to get some of my collection of 1:25K maps on.

Geoff :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using a Satmap10 for the last four or five years, great bit of kit for confirming where you are when the fog and cloud comes in.

I used it in 2012 to walk across Scotland and found it really useful in areas when navigation got a bit tricky. I don't use half the features they're capable of but it's fantastic for what I need.

The map cards seem expensive at first but you can get some good offers direct from Satmap or through other retailers. I went for the north GB map at 1:50k and I've never needed to buy anything else.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I am not a GPS expert, I just use my gps for walking and geocaching, I have a Garmin Etrex 20, which is around £120. it comes with a very basic (if not completely useless map) however you can buy Garmin Birds Eye Select maps for £20 it allows you to select 1,500 sq km of coverage for an area you want (you dont have to use in one chunk) and these maps are far more detailed.

I am sure there are other here that can tell you a lot more. but this is my 2 pence worth.

I have one too. Very light, great on batteries. The basic features are all I need but the digital map is nice to have as a quick location checker.

I got mine for silly money on a lightning deal from Amazon.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've been using a Satmap10 for the last four or five years, great bit of kit for confirming where you are when the fog and cloud comes in.

I used it in 2012 to walk across Scotland and found it really useful in areas when navigation got a bit tricky. I don't use half the features they're capable of but it's fantastic for what I need.

The map cards seem expensive at first but you can get some good offers direct from Satmap or through other retailers. I went for the north GB map at 1:50k and I've never needed to buy anything else.

Another SatMap advocate here; have had a Garmin buried in my top lid for years in case nav got sketchy. Been using SatMap for a few years now with a north and south 1:25000 map card and can honestly say its brill - there's a reason why MREW and SARDA utilise it. I also have viewranger on my phone which is really good.
The downside for both is the initial expense which does get easier with use! I'd recommend using a few before committing to buy to get what's right for your needs. I obviously don't have to say anything about having the primary skills of map and compass....

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE