Best Fry Bread Yet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
For Thanksgiving and again at Christmas, we had a group of guys from Teen Challenge, a drug rehab, over for a feed. Duane, an Ojibwe from Leech Lake, was among them. Turns out his mother's maiden name is Morris - same as my mother's maiden name. Still checking to see if we're related.

We tried out his fry bread recipe and it was the best yet.

Recipe,

Morris Fry Bread:

Three cups white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 or 1/3 cup powdered milk
Mix dry ingredients

Add water (about 1 cup) and one egg. There is no predetermined amount of water. Dough should be smooth, but not dry or sticky. Dough should not be clumpy or lumpy. Mix with HANDS, no spoons, wisks or electric mixers. Flour can be added if you have mixed in too much water.

You can also add brown sugar and cinnamon - or
raspberries or blueberries

Let sit at room temp for two or three hours - do not refrigerate

Pull out handfulls of preferred size (about golf ball sized works best for most applications). Make into a ball and pull outwards from center to flatten. DO NOT USE A ROLLING PIN!

You can deep fry or fry in a pan (deep frying works best). Use enough oil or lard to fry properly on a low heat (hot coals if over a fire) Fry to golden or dark brown. Make sure fry bread is not doughy in middle.

Serve hot. Do not refrigerate bread even after cooking.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hey Pierre....Do you know if its fry bread that is used in Patty melt (sp?)....?
When visiting my parents in Montana, my mum introduced me to patty melt, saying I would like it, wow was she right. I can't remember if it was fry bread or rye bread that was used.... I would love to eat that again.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Drool! Munch!

Only need spread them with mushed-up squirrel kidneys, in a paté kind of way, and I’ll be on the next low emissions plane to join you!

Happy feasts!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Jon Pickett said:
Hey Pierre....Do you know if its fry bread that is used in Patty melt (sp?)....?
When visiting my parents in Montana, my mum introduced me to patty melt, saying I would like it, wow was she right. I can't remember if it was fry bread or rye bread that was used.... I would love to eat that again.

Patty melts are kind of subjective. Locally they are often made with a sour dough bread.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE