bergan problem!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
hi im new on this site so would like to say a quick hi to everyone

a couple of years ago i bought a 120 ltr plce bergan from waddington airshow only to realise when i got home (cos im stupid) that it did not have the aluminium frame inside it. after endless hours searching on the internet especially ebay i have had no look in finding one. if any one knows where i could get hold of one i would be extremely greatful to hear from them otherwise i will have to buy another bergan.

much appreciated daniel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum,

Do you really need the internal frame? Some people I know don't use them at all to be honest

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
You could probably make a new one without too much bother. IIRC it;s 4 pieces of flat ali, a bit like a three-legged pi. Rivets seem like the order of the day.

You know the internal frame is only really there for very heavy loads and you can bend it to a shape more suited to your preferred carry style. Your bergan will be absolutely fine without the frame unless you are carrying mortar rounds, loads of 7.62 and grenades and when it gets to that point I'd swap it for a wheelbarrow. :lmao:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Welcome to to the forum and I agree with Matt. It's pretty easy to fix an internal frame from DIY components. On the other hand, with a pack so large I would crawl inside it and let somebody else carry me:D

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
a bit of diy sounds good to me, it will be worth it just to laugh at my rubbish attempt at the end lol, cheers everyone

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can get small kneel on pads from garden shops, they often fit the sleeve inside the Bergen just right. This gives you some padding for your back, and a waterproof seat to sit on in camp :)

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
You can get small kneel on pads from garden shops, they often fit the sleeve inside the Bergen just right. This gives you some padding for your back, and a waterproof seat to sit on in camp :)

that sounds like a great idea deffo gonna give that a try, thanx alot

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
You know the internal frame is only really there for very heavy loads and you can bend it to a shape more suited to your preferred carry style. Your bergan will be absolutely fine without the frame unless you are carrying mortar rounds, loads of 7.62 and grenades and when it gets to that point I'd swap it for a wheelbarrow. :lmao:

Ooo ooo! Tactical wheelbarrow! How long before you suggest a supressed AR rifle in .22LR and a 10" barrel... or a debarked Chiuawa? ;) http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/07/goodbye-gunkid.html

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Matt,

Ooo ooo! Tactical wheelbarrow! How long before you suggest a supressed AR rifle in .22LR and a 10" barrel... or a debarked Chiuawa? ;) http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/07/goodbye-gunkid.html

Not too sure of the inference in your post. Was it a 'funny' or was it suggesting that w00dsmoke is (or is like) the person in your link? To me he was just telling someone that, unless the pack had serious weight in it, it should be usable without the frame.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
From your previous postings you've come over as a 'good'un' and the use of the ;) did make me think it was intended to be funny - the addition of the link caused me some confusion though. Sometimes the inference in a post can be a bit hard to read when you can't see a face or hear the tone in the voice and I thought that I'd ask for clarification - thankyou for the response.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Do a search in the Gallery for "longback bergan frame" and you'll see how simple it is to make a replacement. I got a PLCE bergan over here in the states that had a broken frame (no too many around so I didn't want to pass it up). It didn't take me any time to find some aluminum stock to work up a reasonable replacement. Used short bolts and nut instead of rivets and it works fine!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE