Belated hello and Username Explanation!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Hi

A little late in the day but I thought I would just give you wonderful folks (and I do mean that, this is an excellent forum) a bit of background on me, my username and explain the avatar.

I am 37 (nearly 38) Bucks born and bred having lived my entire life in the sticks. I am married to Tina and have two lovely Lads Jack (6) and Sam (2). I have been a keen countrysportsman for 32 of my 37 years and have spent some of the happiest days of my life in and around the local wood/farm land. I took up Bodybuilding/Powerlifting (lifetime drug free) as a result of persistent bullying throughout most of my school life (certainly not the best years of MY life). I always wanted my own gym and realised the dream four years ago when I built a commercially kitted private membership gym calling it Silverbax (deliberate mispelling) after my absolute favourite animal the Silverback Gorilla. Through a close personal friend I was fortunate enough earlier this year to get up close and personal to the animal I have loved for as long as I can remember and these pictures just about say it all

IMG_2430.jpg

6caecdce.jpg

So thats me folks and thanks for making me feel so welcome at this friendly, helpful and massively enlightening place!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum

Great pictures, where were they taken?

Good to see some good has come from your bad experiences at school. I had a similar problem and i ended up taking up martial arts to sort it out. Never had to use it anger mind, just competetion.
I wonder if you have met any of the people that bullied you since? I have come accross a few and i have to chortle that i have grown significantly and a lot of them havn't. I now tower over them and the question "so what have you been doing with yourself?" leads to my answer "Well, since you made my life such a misery at school, i took up Ju-Jitsu. I now hold a 2nd degree black belt, hold an instructers qualification and have competed at international level.....you?"

I would never dishonuor my instructor by actually hitting them, but it's fun to watch the colour drain from their face as they think they are gonna get a pasting :D

Welcome again
See you in the forums

Regards
Martin

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
ArkAngel said:
Great pictures, where were they taken?

I wonder if you have met any of the people that bullied you since?

The photos were taken at The Zoological Society of London or London Zoo as it is more commonly known. The Gorilla is Bobby the Silverback of the troop and he tipped the scales at 200Kg's that day. The gorillas have been relocated to allow for the re-design and build of the gorilla enclosure at the zoo and they need to be anesthetised to move them so medical checks were carried out at the same time to monopolise on the event. Bobby needed half of a broken tooth removed - bless him!

ArkAngel in answer to your question - I have met up with my tormentors since and it is strange, but the very reason I originally took up my sport was to one day even the score however when confronted with the opportunity later on in life I believe it was the sport that stopped me from doing so - funny old world :)

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome :You_Rock_

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome Silverback mate (again). Looking at those biceps, you wont mind if I tie off one end of my hammock to you will yah :D

Red

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Welcome mate,nice intro.I like the pics of your furry mate,has he been down the gym with ya??? :D

Never had time for bullies me!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Cool intro Silverback. And I love the way Bobby is clutchin' your thumb...makes you appreciate how delicate the balance of nature truely is....

Welcome

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Hello mate - there is a group of us in the High Wycombe area that regularly meetup to practice bushcraft in woods on a nearby estate. Contact myself or Jason Sears if you are interested and we will meet up one evening. Looking forward to an arm wrestling competition. Best Wishes Aaron

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi Silverback, welcome aboard. Really nice knife you've displayed elsewhere; a lovely piece.

ArkAngel said:
..."Well, since you made my life such a misery at school, i took up Ju-Jitsu. I now hold a 2nd degree black belt, hold an instructers qualification and have competed at international level.....you?"

Martin, did you ever train with Pete Farrar? (or am I showing my age?!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE