Being homeless - tent, rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Thats a real tough break mate and I wish you all the best the only thing i can think of would be boot sales to pick up some good bargains.
most importantly you have a plan of what you want to do and you're heading in the right direction for it.
I wish you good luck to you and your pooch in all that you do.
cheers
paddy

R

ross2503

You mean you can buy a rucksack that has wheels? I've never seen them. Who makes it? What are they called? I was considering a case with wheels but I used to have one and the wheels broke in next to no time. Remember I'll be pulling it around with me all day every day. It's going to take some hammer. The worst thing that can happen is the wheels break and I have to carry a case around, nightmare! If it's a rucksack with wheels though that would give me the best of both worlds - pull it around in the streets and a backpack when I need to go over grass camping. I'll have to look more into that. An alternative that I found would be a trolley which are only £15 like this:

http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Design_Go_Travel_Trolley.html?gclid=CKHW9viV6ZkCFRNM5QodPC9cRw

It weighs 1.6Kg though but it does fold up and it holds up to 35Kg. I think I should buy one of these anyway as I currently carry a 15Kg sack of dog food across town for 3 miles on my shoulder so would be great for that too.

The suggestion about the small pull along suitcase seems sound, but that said, my eldest son often travels by plane. He bought a rucksac that has a pull out cover that enclosed the whole thing and it padlocks closed. It also has little wheels on that outer cover and a pull along strap. If I recall correctly it came with a smaller pack for the overhead locker but the outer cover will accomodate both bags if needed.
Sounds as though it might be useful in your situation. No idea what make or what it cost, but if it would help I'll ask Son1 ?

Your dog is the only issue I could see being a problem if you use somewhere daily like the local swimming pool or gym to shower.

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You mean you can buy a rucksack that has wheels? ...

Sort of. I have one. It's actually luggage designed for air travel, it's like a zip-up suitcase, very roughly 24" x 18" x 12". I can't measure it because it's in France at the moment. It has small wheels and a pull-out handle so you can trundle it around the airport on what would be expected to be a very smooth surface. IMO the wheels would be little use for even ordinary well-kept pavements and streets. One side of the case has a flap similar to the 'tanky' bergan which unzips to reveal shoulder straps. It isn't very comfortable and I wouldn't recommend it for a long tab but I've carried it ten miles from LAX with enough kit in it for a couple of months -- in a hotel. :)

R

ross2503

Thanks for the info, comfort is definitely at the forefront of my mind! I think the trolley idea might be best.

Sort of. I have one. It's actually luggage designed for air travel, it's like a zip-up suitcase, very roughly 24" x 18" x 12". I can't measure it because it's in France at the moment. It has small wheels and a pull-out handle so you can trundle it around the airport on what would be expected to be a very smooth surface. IMO the wheels would be little use for even ordinary well-kept pavements and streets. One side of the case has a flap similar to the 'tanky' bergan which unzips to reveal shoulder straps. It isn't very comfortable and I wouldn't recommend it for a long tab but I've carried it ten miles from LAX with enough kit in it for a couple of months -- in a hotel. :)

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
This is the saddest thread I've ever read. Hey ross2503, you need to fight with
everything you've got not to get homeless. I do know the statistics, but there must
be work and places to live for a healthy, strong man. Be prepared to move around in
the UK. Or within the EC if neccessary. Plenty of places in the world where you might
teach english... Also, there are some countries that haven't dismanteled their social
security completely yet, like Holland, Nor, Den, Swe, Fin. just saying.

Hang in there, because there is a place, work and family for you too down the road!

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Sorry to hear about your situation, I was in a similar one last year. You can get board and lodging by volunteering in various places and trading your labour. Watch out about JSA though, they don't look kindly on it, even if you're homeless but what they don't know aint going to kill them until they find out eh? WWOOF costs £20 a year to join and there's loads of places that'll take you on..

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/

You can also organise similar things through here to..

http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/

Hope it helps.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
An alternative that I found would be a trolley which are only £15 like this:

http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Design_Go_Travel_Trolley.html?gclid=CKHW9viV6ZkCFRNM5QodPC9cRw

That luggage trolly wont last two miutes mate. they are designed for smooth airport concourses not pulling gear in everyday life. same goes for the holdalls on wheels. you are better getting a rucksack but that said a 15kg bag of dry kibble will pretty much mean you gonna need at least two bags

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
It's a shame you are not local mate, otherwise I have a better trolley for the task, they sell 'em at focus, ( they are defunct in our town, dunno if that's all over).
I lost my job where I used it daily and if this is a genuine plight then you would be welcome to it !!

It seems that the milk of human kindness is battling with scepticism ! ( In times when people steal road-signs etc to get by, you do wonder, sorry !)

good luck mate, hope your luck is better tomorrow !

R

ross2503

Yes I was figuring it might not last too long. Haha! I won't be buying 15kg sacks but I'll have to buy 2.5Kg bags. I was looking at rucksacks for dogs - she can carry her own stuff! :)

That luggage trolly wont last two miutes mate. they are designed for smooth airport concourses not pulling gear in everyday life. same goes for the holdalls on wheels. you are better getting a rucksack but that said a 15kg bag of dry kibble will pretty much mean you gonna need at least two bags

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
several people have asked about the bucket shower so i will explain, forget the stupid idea of a bucket full of holes above your head its a waste of time and water, get your bucket of clean cold water, soap works better in warm water so either add and replace hot rocks untill its warm to hot water and or boil up several tins of water to add to the bucket i used to find one hot to one and a half cold worked well,

stand inside and or on top of some thing to keep the feet clean i prefrered two bread trays but a pair of bricks will do
we then need a large car washing sponge or a cup, wet the head and hair but only the head and dont waste your water i used to use two gallons or a ten litre bucket and was more than able to do so soap up and wash your hair if you have some and your face and neck rinse using two cups of water or two sponge dips make sure that when you do rinse that the water runs down your body and does not miss any bits of you,
soap up the torso now also doing the inside of your swiming trucks that you are or should be wearing lol, again rinse with two cups or at the most four if like me theres a lot of torso to rinse, but make sure the legs and the water run off meet, soap and rinse legs as per the rest of you out of 8 litres of water you should have about hald left in the bucket leave one cupfull to shave with and then slowly and i do mean slowly with much care pour the rest over your head and allow to go down the body to clean every thing off,

in the winter when doing this outside i find its better to use cold water as it feels hot and burns which is better better than hot water which is always a cold edge to it.it does also mean that in the winter time showers take less than 3 miniutes

one way to improve on the rinse cycle was to add a watering can to the equasion as a perfect rinser if fited with a rose on the end

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yes I was figuring it might not last too long. Haha! I won't be buying 15kg sacks but I'll have to buy 2.5Kg bags. I was looking at rucksacks for dogs - she can carry her own stuff! :)

The Kurgo Wander Pack is well priced & seems pretty good. I get my 15kg bags off Amazon, delivered free (Harringtons). What dog have you got?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE