Being homeless - tent, rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
a very good point chris, what i am saying is i have done what ross is talking about and to do so can envolve breakings laws with trespass and other such things like criminal damage to gain access, etc , i also swear a lot even when i type and find that some times peoples helpfull suggestions can be very insulting as so vioced my opinion, it is clearly against the forum rules to say these things ,

there is also the other reason why i stated that the message had been sent and it was to allow other people to know that as well as what is being spoken about here, that there is a completely differnt path one can take and i have had to on occasions to do so, the last time was november 2011 when i spent three weeks as it were breaking the british laws to earn money for my family ,

as i have already stated if you wish to read said message ask and i will forward it to you, but dont complain if your offended by it, peter

Thanks for getting back to me Peter, please do pm it.
My best.
Chris.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
It's true as you've said before though, Ross. I failed to mention that before those 3 months spent in a flat I was staying with family, unemployed for 5 months looking for jobs. 100s of applications + later I finally got a job. For every 150 applications said, I'd get 2 replies. It's a cold world out there with employment and I feel for you. I've just lost my current job after they offered me a permanent contract only to say 2 months later - "Sorry but we're unable to keep you on". I'm leaving in 2 weeks and moving in with my brother, niece and sister-in-law. So unemployed again soon...going back to college pending a means of funding though.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
as i have already stated if you wish to read said message ask and i will forward it to you, but dont complain if your offended by it, peter

I don't mind being offended ;)

I remember my old man being homeless about 20 years ago maybe. I guess it was much easier 'back then' but he did spend a few months camping in a suburban area strangely enough.
Although I can't offer words of wisdom to help you I can offer words of sympathy. If there was any way I could help I would.
I understand the dog situation too, there's no way either of mine would be parted from me.
Chin up and all the best for the future.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
to others not knowing whats going the email is me shouting my big mouth off mainly

my public replay would be, to move to a differant area would need help by someone from the internet or forums here, that will offer the lad at least an address he can use to stay within the system and, or some where to stay.

I cant belive someone here does not have a spare room for rent.

i am also unemployed and have just had all my benifits stopped because of a clerickal error and now understand what muppets the dwp can be when there in the wrong, i also understand how hard it is to find a job and one that you can stay in, over the last five years i have been unable to last longer than 8 months in a position with a company before they chopped me and agencys only love you when they want to, the idea that there are any form of jobs that you can just fall into is very misguided in my opinion. in those five years or so i have been able to work between 6 to 8 months per year, 2011 i started my first job in april and was unemployed for november the 3rd this year its now almost march and i have done no work at all yet

as for the wild camping as it were, you still need several other to me important items.

forget the ruck sack and use a suitcase with wheels its easier to carry and can be taken into you place of work for storage the dog cant of course. the tent i would buy the cheapest second hand one going with or with out holes but i would " obtain" a small pvc tarp from B&Q etc to use as either a second skin on the tent or for a small porch awning. i belive the most critical parts missing was a orange B&Q bucket (re obtain) and a watering can. to wash properly when living rough you do need to have a proper shower or bucket bath and i find that one of these is ideal for that situation, if your as hard as i can be, it can be done with a pair of swimming trunks on and with cold water and in under 3mins on a frosty night, to keep the feet clean when showering and out of the mud i used to find two bread trays stacked one inside the other worked well as a foot mat. "again re obtain"

clothes do have to go through a laundry so either friends or yellow pages have to be organised, i would suggest that me he loses all internet capability i would down load lots of laundry matt detials and store them in his phone or note pad. or supporters from this forum or others are that will be in your new chosen area , we are more than willing to take in a bag of washing once or twice a week

cleaning items, soap razors etc can be "obtained" from tescos if needed etc but NEVER EVER forget the shoe polish its critticaly that shoes are cleaned and polished at all times, one to project a good clean immage the other is to prevent shoe failure or them wearing out, to soon

the reason i had suggested a grave yard for wild camping, not that any one will wild camp because its illegal/tresspass etc and must never bee done, one area to camp is because it offers normaly a tap and clean water and a compost bin to hide the suitcase of gear in and there is a good chance you might meet a more "christian soul" and strangly enough its very quiet and peacefull at night and normaly you are left alone. it also offers areas, compost bins and hedges to bury toilet wastes etc some even have fire baskets to burn old flowers with which make good fire bins

I would also suggest the "obtaining" of an orange jack point wood saw and a small cheap hand hatchet /axe, they sell naff ones in tescos for a fiver or less the saw is around £8 and then we are able to use pallets from factory units as heating and cooking fuel.

to transport these i would suggest the modern unban utillity open top four wheel steer veichal or shopping trolly as its better known

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The lack of willingness to provide a room, or even an addrress may down to not wan to be taken for a ride, there have been many people pop up on this forum alone with hard luck stories who turn out to be on the scrounge, remember been, a good story to tug the heart strings,and a bit of humility seems to get some kit, very odd to me that this person has posted this on here.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
The lack of willingness to provide a room, or even an addrress may down to not wan to be taken for a ride, there have been many people pop up on this forum alone with hard luck stories who turn out to be on the scrounge, remember been, a good story to tug the heart strings,and a bit of humility seems to get some kit, very odd to me that this person has posted this on here.

wise words

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
Giving the OP benefit of the doubt has he tried Freecycle/Freegle for kit?

it might work in east sussex but if the birmingham one is a total waste of time as it is so over run with snappers who snap up every thing and people how dont allow others the time to reply, it is very common to me to read the set of ten when they come through to find it runs like this

pram avaible
pram taken
tv avalible
tv taken
chairs avalible
chairs now taken, i would say half are gone by the time i read it and so to me its pretty much a waste of time some days

i think the ross guy should go and get a fishing beach shelter £10 or try the fleabay as tents at the moment are out of season and as such slightly cheaper than normal, but next month the camping gear starts to go up in price as the season starts.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Still worth asking, especially if you can ask the owner directly instead of the pencil-neck agent - maintaining a lessee who is known to them and changing the lease terms is sometimes preferable to losing the known factor and starting over with someone new.

This is a very good suggestion , I have been in a situation similar to the one you are in about 16 years ago .
It can be very easy when faced with this kind of pressure to see manly the problems that block your way rather than possible solutions to help you find your way through this .
Best advise I can offer is stay focused on the solution rather than the problem as there is always a way round things or a different way of approaching an obstacle . You can make things work for you just keep talking to all other people involved, ie landlord, council, job agencies and when they say "no" find a different way to approach the same problem with them and keep doing that :) again and again

Hope all works out for you

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
it might work in east sussex but if the birmingham one is a total waste of time as it is so over run with snappers who snap up every thing and people how dont allow others the time to reply, it is very common to me to read the set of ten when they come through to find it runs like this

pram avaible
pram taken
tv avalible
tv taken
chairs avalible
chairs now taken, i would say half are gone by the time i read it and so to me its pretty much a waste of time some days

i think the ross guy should go and get a fishing beach shelter £10 or try the fleabay as tents at the moment are out of season and as such slightly cheaper than normal, but next month the camping gear starts to go up in price as the season starts.

Pity it's not festival season - tents are just dumped post party....

R

ross2503

I don't really need to do that, I will still be in receipt of JSA even when I'm homeless. I spoke to them and as long as I have a postal address, a "care of" address (which I have) then there is no problem. The main problems I face are the practical ones - how do I stay clean/have a shower, where can I put my rucksack securely if I can't have it with me (ie. a job interview) - all but very large railway stations in some major cities don't have lockers. The smallest bag of kibble is 2.5Kg which I'll have to carry, few places sell by the pound and that works out expensive. I always buy the 15Kg sacks now which is the most economical...

I'll take a look at your thread though, thanks.

Have you thought about getting food from the supermarket skips?

I've been doing this for months now and have saved a lot of money. There's so much going to waste and it's crazy when you consider there are many people like you and me with very little income..

If you're interested I started a thread about it on another forum:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44017.html

Randall

R

ross2503

This is certainly not the case my friend, I don't want anything from anyone but some advice. The purpose of posting on this forum is because it is a camping forum, that means the members on here are hardcore campers who are used to camping out (albeit for pleasure) and have knowledge about good and bad tents, rucksacks etc (which was my initial question). My situation is very real as is my stress over it I assure you!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The suggestion about the small pull along suitcase seems sound, but that said, my eldest son often travels by plane. He bought a rucksac that has a pull out cover that enclosed the whole thing and it padlocks closed. It also has little wheels on that outer cover and a pull along strap. If I recall correctly it came with a smaller pack for the overhead locker but the outer cover will accomodate both bags if needed.
Sounds as though it might be useful in your situation. No idea what make or what it cost, but if it would help I'll ask Son1 ?

Your dog is the only issue I could see being a problem if you use somewhere daily like the local swimming pool or gym to shower.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE