Being homeless - tent, rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... the army Burgens look hard-wearing but it brings me back to my question - has anyone had problems with comfort on them? I've read from some people that they are too short and the waist belts doesn't sit on the hips so the shoulders take the weight?

Some army packs are intended to be worn above belt kit so they are shorter than what a civilian would wear. Try before you buy.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
whatever you do don't give up the place that you're living in, keep paying the rent as per the original contract and get in touch with your local law centre and/or CAB and ask their advice. the simple fact of the matter is that as long as you are paying a fair rental amount for the property (in the eyes of a court) then the landlord will really struggle to evict you, at the bare minimum it'll take your landlord a couple of months to evict you and that's after they've given you initial notice to quit (which i think they haven't done yet from what you said). i was in a similar situation myself the year before last, my land lady wanted me out and i had nowhere else to go, i contacted the law centre and the local council and basically just refused to move out. i eventually got a council house and moved to where i am now, but that was nearly 9 months after she'd first told me to leave and she was still no closer to getting an eviction order. i moved simply because i had a much better house to move to. the law is pretty much on your side if you just decide to stay put where you are. i heard a story from a memeber on here about a situation where someone had moved into a property, paid a deposit and the first months rent and then refused to pay any more, the owner of the property took over 18months to get them out of his house. if you can show willingness to pay then just imagine how long you could potentialy drag out the eviction process. the other great advantage of that approach is that the council cant ignore you, they always end up involved with the whole process, so you end up with a name and a phone number of someone on the council who you can then ring up every day to remind them that you're stil looking for somewhere to live, they soon get annoyed with you and find you somewhere to live just to shut you up!

do everything within your power to not lose the roof over your head, being homeless isn't nice

stuart

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Dont camp near civilisation if the worst does happen. Not sure what age and subjects you teach but if its secondary, have you tried placing an add offering tuition for exams? most parents will be starting to think about a bit of extra soon as exams are not too far off.

More than the above, i sincerely hope your luck changes soon. I get angry when the benefit system doesnt work for those that clearly need it but rewards those who happen to fit certain criteria and milk it. I live in a modest three bed semi and there is a girl over the road in an identical house with her rent and council tax paid, 2 kids and no job. Go figure!!!

Just one more thing, and i know its hard, but If it comes down to you or the dog. Choose you!!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Is there a spare room you could rent to someone else? I'm not saying illegal sublet but if you clear it with the landlady then you might be able to stay there

R

ross2503

Unless you are able to take care of your dog(including any kind of vet bills) then I feel it would be unfair to the dog to bring it into YOUR life style decision, I say decision as this is what it would be IF you do not re-home it, I have two pups, I love them dearly and can understand what a wrench it would be to give it up, BUT your pups welfare MUST be your first concern.

No I can and do take perfect care of her, she comes before me. I continue with her pet insurance so she will always get whatever medical treatment she needs.

R

ross2503

travel round europe? volunteer for something? Like teaching in asia or something?

There are plenty of options other than being homeless.

My intention is to leave this country as soon as I am able. I've been learning Spanish for the past 4 months and I have my sights set on South America. However, for now I need to survive and get my life sorted. I need a job so that I can save up to move. Flights, visa application costs, rabies vaccinations and pet passport for my dog, travel crate, the cost of flying her... all very expensive. Easy to say go abroad. I did look into volunteering in Georgia but they place you with a host family and again - no dogs.

Sorry if I've not replied to you all. I have read all the posts and taken them on board.

Thanks again everyone :)

R

ross2503

Is there a spare room you could rent to someone else? I'm not saying illegal sublet but if you clear it with the landlady then you might be able to stay there

No the terms of my lease (through the property agent) prohibits subletting.

R

ross2503

Dont camp near civilisation if the worst does happen. Not sure what age and subjects you teach but if its secondary, have you tried placing an add offering tuition for exams? most parents will be starting to think about a bit of extra soon as exams are not too far off.

More than the above, i sincerely hope your luck changes soon. I get angry when the benefit system doesnt work for those that clearly need it but rewards those who happen to fit certain criteria and milk it. I live in a modest three bed semi and there is a girl over the road in an identical house with her rent and council tax paid, 2 kids and no job. Go figure!!!

Just one more thing, and i know its hard, but If it comes down to you or the dog. Choose you!!

Thanks. I teach A-levels at 6th form college usually. It's not that I need to earn a bit of cash on the side, I need a full-time stable income to pay the rent, bills etc. Tuition is very hit and miss and impossible to make a full-time living from it. Plus people only really need tutors when exams are looming and they start to panic!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
No the terms of my lease (through the property agent) prohibits subletting.

Still worth asking, especially if you can ask the owner directly instead of the pencil-neck agent - maintaining a lessee who is known to them and changing the lease terms is sometimes preferable to losing the known factor and starting over with someone new.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Still worth asking, especially if you can ask the owner directly instead of the pencil-neck agent - maintaining a lessee who is known to them and changing the lease terms is sometimes preferable to losing the known factor and starting over with someone new.
This is a very good suggestion. As long as you have the landlord's permission there would be no problem varying the terms to allow a sublet. Landlords almost always take a hit when a tenancy changes hands. Cleaning, redecorating and time between tenants all add up.

I'd also second the suggestions to talk to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. They deal with this sort of thing all the time and will have some good suggestions. Shelter may be worth a call too. They deal specifically with this type of problem.

As a last resort the suggestion that you simply stay put, continue to pay what rent you have and use the time sort out work or any other business you are dealing with is good too. If by the time you do this you've already suggested subletting and been refused I'd argue that this is a position your landlord has forced you into.

I don't think you should allow yourself to become homeless unless you have exhausted all other options and you have absolutely no choice left. So many things would become harder without a home.

Whatever you do choose I wish you good luck!

Huon

i have sent a private reply to this poster questions, i have done so because it could be seen as ilegal aspects and posible law breaking which is not allowed on the main forum, it will also contain swearing and derogatory statements, if anyone else wishes to see it i will happily post it to you but it would proberly be against forum guidelines to post publicly. pete

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, that is rather harsh of you.

If you are single, male, young and healthy, theres very little help availible.

Having a dog doest help...But some folks their dog is their only family.

I was in the supermarket with some Bangladeshi friends once; They were asking me why people spent so much money on their dogs. They had dogs too, but `You british people you treat your dogs better than your children.`

So I told them that for many people a dog was all the family they had.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
i have sent a private reply to this poster questions, i have done so because it could be seen as ilegal aspects and posible law breaking which is not allowed on the main forum, it will also contain swearing and derogatory statements, if anyone else wishes to see it i will happily post it to you but it would proberly be against forum guidelines to post publicly. pete

I realy don't understand what you are saying?

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
go to a salubrious nightclub and pick up a rich ugly chick. she will be happy for the attention and you can move in with her. everyones a winner.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Pets can get free vets fees jabs etc in some situations.
in my opinion once your homeless its downhill from there if you cant get a job now you wont with no address. So dont give up your home with abit of thought theres money to be made if you dont mind mixing it up a bit if your hands on. One of the best ways to get some labouring work is in local pubs theres always builders in after work who can find bits of work for people, i realise this isnt what you want but clearly theres no teaching jobs out there so maybe its time to look for other work before its too late. My neighboor who is 15 makes £60 every saturday washing cars and he could proberly do there same sunday if he wanted as in summer her does it in the evenings too. Window cleaning. Garden services. Painting. All these things can be done and you mayaswell be earning something than nothing even if it enables you to pay one more months rent

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Working in a fast food joint?
Cleaning offices at night?
Dog walking?

Anything's got to be better than sleeping rough

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Ross,

I have some kit that's going spare foc, drop me a pm if it's any use.

However as everyone else has said being homeless should be avoided at all costs if it's possible.

All the best

Stood

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

post it to me.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
I realy don't understand what you are saying?

a very good point chris, what i am saying is i have done what ross is talking about and to do so can envolve breakings laws with trespass and other such things like criminal damage to gain access, etc , i also swear a lot even when i type and find that some times peoples helpfull suggestions can be very insulting as so vioced my opinion, it is clearly against the forum rules to say these things ,

there is also the other reason why i stated that the message had been sent and it was to allow other people to know that as well as what is being spoken about here, that there is a completely differnt path one can take and i have had to on occasions to do so, the last time was november 2011 when i spent three weeks as it were breaking the british laws to earn money for my family ,

as i have already stated if you wish to read said message ask and i will forward it to you, but dont complain if your offended by it, peter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE