Beaver fur pack basket cover and a polished puukko!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Today I decided to cover my pack basket with some more beaver fur I had lest over. I simply cut an oval larger than the basket and tied it around with some thick Jute twine. Obviously the basket isn't waterproof as there are small gaps as it's woven, but this will stop andy big splashes of water from getting in and more importantly stop any gear from falling out. I could do holes and a drawstring but this works great. there's some pictures of my finished canvas canoe set up now- very happy (overjoyed really) with it and I can't wait to get it out on the water. I had a wood jewel puukko lying around that looked a bit sorry. The forge (heat treat really) finish that came I wasn't mad about so I filed it all off, then wet and dry through the grits, then through wire wool grits then I did a toothpaste polis on it so it has a lovely shine to it now. The handle was curly birch but there's nothing curly about it! I made some faint streaks across with some stain to ripple it, a bit like fiddleback maple. It's not that visible but it looks better than it did. The spine was squared off and polished too. The pictures:

imagejpg2_zps0719b77b.jpg

imagejpg3_zps9952042b.jpg

imagejpg1_zps48a78708.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsb0cf1ee7.jpg

imagejpg2_zps8465793f.jpg

imagejpg1_zps983155f1.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1ce766bd.jpg

Thanks for looking :).

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
All looking great there, Cameron...................I reckon Frost River will soon be offering you a dealership mate :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not much that I see and want these days - but I want that pack basket so much. It would be so hand to carry tools in to wherever I am working. Love it.

Honestly, don't have much time for that wood jewel puukko though - talk nicely to Shinken of this parish when you are flush Cameron. His puukkos are heart breakingly good.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Not much that I see and want these days - but I want that pack basket so much. It would be so hand to carry tools in to wherever I am working. Love it.

Honestly, don't have much time for that wood jewel puukko though - talk nicely to Shinken of this parish when you are flush Cameron. His puukkos are heart breakingly good.

It's a lovely thing Hugh- well worth it! I know what you mean it's not a finesse tool- I've got better knives by miles and plenty of them but I reckon it's a bit nicer than it was. It's become my mora equivalent really- I use it for dodgy tasks I probably shouldn't! And sounds good- I do have a hankering for a good puuko :D.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not much that I see and want these days - but I want that pack basket so much. It would be so hand to carry tools in to wherever I am working. Love it.....

Agreed. That's why the trappers used to love them so much back in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Agreed. That's why the trappers used to love them so much back in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s.

I'm interested a lot in that-(part of the reason I got it). I think it'll get a lot of use for carrying wood when I'm in the canoe and as a sort of fishing creel too :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's some very nice kit pal.tell me all about thar 4 pooches on the deer skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers!

There is three ones that are accessory pouches- zippered, waxed canvas etc. There is a Sam Browne lunch bag (holds a mors pot or zebra etc. The other thing is a fly wallet and they're all frost river :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE