Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
There is another gerber knife which is similar looking to this, Ive seen it in the review thread of this knife. There's no doubt these knives are good, so I hope people dont think im being patronizing when I say id just prefer it if BG wasnt on the handle, as im sure a million others would too. But still very cool looking. Id love to get a customizable handle. I may well look into that. Thanks Nunz

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Well...
If it had a pommel that really was attached to the blade for real and not with a plastic washer like the LMF II....
If it had a blade without serrations....
It it had a handle like the LMF II....
If it did not look so chinese plastic copy like....
It the firesteel was attached the other way around....
If the whistle was something better than a joke....

Then maybe I would use one. I bactually bought one, looked at it and sold it off again.
A Fallkniven F1 runs circles around this pathetic marketing hoax, even a decent Mora knife is better. There is nothing "ultimate" to a knife that has a has "do not pound on the blade" warning on the package.

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
to be honest im not a huge fan of gerber as i have had some bad experience. i will however reccomend the mora bushcraft knife, as it has a full tang, and the firesteel is included as is a sharpener. u dont however have a serrated edge on it. i personally believe that this knife has a higher quality, and is coming from a much more respected company. and its cheaper than the BG knife
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-bushcraft-survival-knife-7675-p.asp

just my humble opinion, hope its of some help
happy decission making, and hope u are pleased with ur choice n it serves u well

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
whats a JF? :p
Thats HIS initials in place of BG, Bear Grylls initials ... I am guessing ...
If the knife did not have that handle, that blade and endorsment by a guy who puts out progs that show incredibly bad technique (see him showing bowdrill fire lighting - great as a "how not to do it" video) in basic skills: if it did not look like a toy and if it came without warnings of not to use it for normal knife use....
Then I might think about buying it - if it came at half the price it currently is....
:)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
whats a JF? :p

Thats HIS initials in place of BG, Bear Grylls initials ... I am guessing ...
If the knife did not have that handle, that blade and endorsment by a guy who puts out progs that show incredibly bad technique (see him showing bowdrill fire lighting - great as a "how not to do it" video) in basic skills: if it did not look like a toy and if it came without warnings of not to use it for normal knife use....
Then I might think about buying it - if it came at half the price it currently is....
:)

well and truly JF'd

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The pommel is isolated to absorbe shock and so if you were to cut through live wire you don't have a live pommel too. IMO.

Well...
If it had a pommel that really was attached to the blade for real and not with a plastic washer like the LMF II....
If it had a blade without serrations....
It it had a handle like the LMF II....
If it did not look so chinese plastic copy like....
It the firesteel was attached the other way around....
If the whistle was something better than a joke....

Then maybe I would use one. I bactually bought one, looked at it and sold it off again.
A Fallkniven F1 runs circles around this pathetic marketing hoax, even a decent Mora knife is better. There is nothing "ultimate" to a knife that has a has "do not pound on the blade" warning on the package.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
actually Fire steels dont like prolonged exposure to damp and especially sea water they will crumble away

a lot of people use nail varnish on them to protect them and reapply after a period of use

ATB

Duncan

Define prolonged.

I was thinking more dropping it in a puddle or something along those lines. As opposed to sticking it in a bucket of sea water for a month.

Nevertheless and interesting fact.

Define prolonged.

I was thinking more dropping it in a puddle or something along those lines. As opposed to sticking it in a bucket of sea water for a month.

Nevertheless and interesting fact.

lol no its not a sugar lump same as getting a carbon blade wet wont dissolve it on the spot

but if you store it damp or wet it will have an effect over a fairly short time remember if its a survival kit you may have it packed for months or even years but when you want it you dont want to discover its not as you put it in or if you got it damp last use in the summer or use a leather loop to hold it and that's got moisture in and you put it away over winter it it will suffer

ive had a batch go in the shed as it was damp they are still usable but have big flakes etc out of the side so i cant sell them

its why there are a lot of Ferro rod holders that seal it in a tube with 'O' rings etc like the Nano striker

heres Shark Tinders advice

http://www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/bushc...s_and_advice/FIRE/how_to_use_a_pyroflint.html << scroll down

heres time lapse of a bit of 6mm thick by 42mm Ferro thats 43gms material takes 48 hrs to disolve completely in sea water so 1.7gms per hr ( a ferro rod is a lot lighter than that so prolonged could be a couple of hrs sitting in a leather loop that got wet you didnt notice ;)

[video=youtube;g2tHD4cmosQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tHD4cmosQ[/video]

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
Your getting me all wrong here, I actually like BG.

BUT...If i was going to a meet, everyone was asked to whip out their knives and I pulled this out...I think id die of embarrassment. Not because I think BG is an idiot, because it looks like a bit of a ''wannabe survivalist'' toy in my opinion. Ive read the review, great little knife apparently, buy I think the BG just puts the 'cheesy' factor to it. hence i said id get one if his initials wern't printed on the handle.

I think you would be surprised! At the meets I've attended, people are not kit snobby as you may think, we all started somewhere, and most of us still remember that! I seen people turn up with basic cheap 'go outdoors special' and not a comment was said about it in the negative, we are more interested in our shared enthusiastic love of the outdoors, not what knives you have or how much it cost. That's been my observation anyway.

nunzionuk

I think you would be surprised! At the meets I've attended, people are not kit snobby as you may think, we all started somewhere, and most of us still remember that! I seen people turn up with basic cheap 'go outdoors special' and not a comment was said about it in the negative, we are more interested in our shared enthusiastic love of the outdoors, not what knives you have or how much it cost. That's been my observation anyway.

Some of that cheap go outdoors stuff is quite good, imho.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
IMHO you can turn up on meets with just about any kit and no one will make negative comments - but they may offer a lot of constructive advice about how you could get either the most from the kit you have or how you could improve your outfit in future with regard to durability and cost effectiveness. All this without prejudice or negativity.
However, seeing as there are lots of cheaper options, more effective options and better looking options to buying BG knives then I can see where someone could think that someone turning up on a meet with a BG knife would be thought of as a "wanna-be" thanks to the "cheezy" factor mentioned, whereas someone turning up with a good looking, effective, cheaper Mearsy copy would not raise any eyebrows.
I would think that the BG knife would work as a tool - but it seems to be designed to apeal to fans of BG and his big market - Scouts (young impressionable kids) - just like his shows.
I realy dislike the whole BG image thing - shows, marketing etc etc.
I am sure that he is a nice bloke to talk to (and he has certainly inspired a lot of kids to join Scouts so he cant be all bad) but I would certainly be able to find better, cheaper and better looking kit that does not Bear (like the pun?) his name.
On this basis I think I understand JFs argument here.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I suppose everyone likes different knives and has different ways they plan to use them personly i think its horrible looking and i cant imagine a blade length that short with half serrations being any good for much plus the serrations are in one of the strongest cutting places on a knife. Even cutting rope id imagine they just snag.
But thats my personal opinion and shouldnt stop you buying it and plus someone else will get a bargain in a few weeks when you sell it on ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They do a non serrated version now. The firesteel has a waterproof seal on it as it is housed in a enclosed plastic space which will rot away the steel should moisture get in there. As it is designed for emergency use, it is a wise move by Gerber to do that. Nothing worse than actually needing the knife after it has been stored for years, and then finding out the firesteel has rotted away due to condensation ingress.

large_14515_GR31-001063.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE