Bear Grylls & Rob Bayley Split Up!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You just need to find a smooth stone, even a tiny round pebble. Sharpening a 4mm blade with an uneven smooth stone is infinitely easier than sharpening a four inch one with a round or uneven pebble. It's a short term solution for survival situations rather than bushcrafting and day to day use.

B

BGadvocate

I'm taking the next flight out...NOT! Talk about a needle in haystack!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I am not offended Tadpole. In fact WWII did start for the USA Dec 7th 1941 , prior to that it was a Europeon and Asian war.
As for Rob Bayley, probably fine knives, not my style.

Bear, well lets say he is a legend in his own mind and out to convince the rest of us. Pretty much a work of fiction to be taken as such.

BGAdvoc, here is a site you need to pay attention to:

http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Special:Allpages

B

BGadvocate

Thanks for the link…Wow! Someone has way too much time on their hands. Blokes-Man vs. Wild (Born Survivor) is a TV show made for TV entertainment purposes...like most TV shows...it's not intended to be a National Geographic documentary. Discovery Channel is a business looking to build TV ratings…it wants Bear Grylls to be cutting edge, risk taking by drawing in entertainment for its TV audience! I advocate Bear Grylls- the person and humanitarian...not the entertainment geared stunts on Man vs. Wild. Take the time you spend writing about these stunts and donate more time to a good cause…charity.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Can someone explain how the interrupted edge on the blade (for stone sharpening in the field) works? If you can find a suitable sharpening medium in the middle of nowhere, wouldn't an uninterupped blade be more use?

The serrated egde on the Bayley knives sharpen just as easy as the straight edge, Rob designed it that way..

012-29.jpg

And if you ask Rob nicely he will do you his removable module that carries a diamond sharpening stone and firesteel, which satisfies needs for sharpening in the field.... The module can be removed from one knife to another as long as the sheath is horizontal carry..

032-7.jpg

:)

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Bout time you showed up :cool:

Yeh sos about that.. Ive been out all day with my Bayley knife, the custom one, similar to the Grylls knife..

Only just got in, saying that I had no choice as the Little Chef had ran out of coffe and shut up early..:slap:

My first post and one I find rather strongly about knowing Rob fairly well and a fellow knife maker we exchange ideas and I own a couple of Rob's knives one a BG all my knives are used and abused to test and write about them in articles for magazines both paper and online. Their split was totally amicable as stated and it was purely a business decision on both parts.
You can still buy albeit long waiting list a S4 the same make as the BG knife without the BG markings.
Other knives in my collection include RM Wilkinson Sword and a couple of AW knives I also have the Wilkinson Sword RM designed Marine knife really too big to use but a showy knife shame it was too big and never went in to production.
I have now a Gerber BG Knife which is not as good as Robs but readily available for BG's fans to purchase I would think that the Gerber knife will break quite easily but thats the nature of the business.
Out of all of the knives in my collection I would either use one of my own or that of Rob, I usually use my for many and various tasks around the camp so they do have a fair bit of stick.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Dude, this thread is a year old.

Robs knives are great, he is currently making his version of my design for me. The new BG Gerber is awful with a few reports of breaking handles. Although they are fetching over twice retail on Ebay.

Welcome to the forum.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I'm a little sad, I went to the Bayley page and the wait time for knives is 7 years and not taking orders.
I'd love to have one just to use

I think Bear is fantastic. Great entertainment. About as educational as Jackass but worth a watch and laugh. I watch it to see what he'll do next and also for some fantastic scenery. The man has got it made.

And as for everyone saying he fakes it etc etc. You'd be an even bigger idiot to do the stuff he does and not have backup plans and there would have to be OH&S concerns

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just shows that, with these type of things, you have to spot a great product early. For example, Ray Mears Bushcraft Knife, the BG Bayley and the Skookum. All are good pieces (or so I surmise from the reviews) and all have long waiting lists. I put an order in for an SBT before they really took off and still had to wait nearly 18 months for Rod to sort me out! There is, however, something to be said for having to wait for an item you really want and not have the 'instant gratification' gremlin satisfied.

I have to say, I do like the look of the 'horizontal sheath' - I've no idea how practical it is! I'll have to ask Dougster to make me one for the SBT next time I get paid...

Last edited:

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
I have to say, I do like the look of the 'horizontal sheath' - I've no idea how practical it is! I'll have to ask Dougster to make me one for the SBT next time I get paid...

For some weird reason I do too.... soon Ill be putting Y fronts on my head sticking pencils up my nostrils........ wobble... :lmao:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
For some weird reason I do too.... soon Ill be putting Y fronts on my head sticking pencils up my nostrils........ wobble... :lmao:

That's wibble. It'll never work if you say wobble.

blackadder1.jpg

The sheath works really well as it's a short knife. Really unobtrusive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE