Bear Grylls & Rob Bayley Split Up!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BGadvocate

Ok- What's going on with Rob Bayley's S4 so called official Bear Grylls knife? Rob quotes on his website: "NB. My apologies but the S4 model is no longer available or branded as the Signature Bear Grylls Knife in any way."

Rob sure made out with Bear's fans having 236 weeks in back log of orders! Of course, this backlog impacts Bear's fans. Not everyone can afford the S4 or have the luxury or even want to wait 3-4 years for a knife. I'm thinking Bear is going to move towards a production model that can please his entire fans at an affordable price.

Thoughts?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ok- What's going on with Rob Bayley's S4 so called official Bear Grylls knife? Rob quotes on his website: "NB. My apologies but the S4 model is no longer available or branded as the Signature Bear Grylls Knife in any way."

Rob sure made out with Bear's fans having 236 weeks in back log of orders! Of course, this backlog impacts Bear's fans. Not everyone can afford the S4 or have the luxury or even want to wait 3-4 years for a knife. I'm thinking Bear is going to move towards a production model that can please his entire fans at an affordable price.

Thoughts?
Mayhaps the knife maker has realised that having Barbeque Grills associated with his knives is not the best thing, in terms of his long term creditability. Or it could be something as simple as waking up to the thought a couple of years devoted to making the same knife, day in day out.

I personally think that, the maker has had enough of other knife makers taking the micky and asking him why in heavens name he is making a knife that will one day be thought of as comparable to either the buckmaster 184 or the Wilkinson sword survival knife. (not due to the knife but due to the image of the knife user,):rolleyes:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That's one thought, but many of us with children and mortgages understand that it's not always an easy decision to make.

Bayley knives are well reputed and understandably so.

Those of us who laugh at Bear Grylls are in the minority as the numbers of viewers and readers of his books show.

I'd be interested to hear the real reasons, but I won't speculate as I'll no doubt look silly again if I do.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The knife is still offered for sale, just without the Bear Grylls stamp on the blade and sheath. I wonder if orders already taken will be fulfilled with the stamp on it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I personally think that, the maker has had enough of other knife makers taking the micky and asking him why in heavens name he is making a knife that will one day be thought of as comparable to either the buckmaster 184 or the Wilkinson sword survival knife. (not due to the knife but due to the image of the knife user,):rolleyes:

Bear is well popular in the US, and over here. More so then Ray mears, he attracts more viewers consistently. I doubt that is the reason. The only people who think along those lines are the die hard Mears fans.

Bear is about Survival, Mears is about bushcraft, survivalists respect bushcrafters, yet many bushcrafters look down on survivalists. Even though we all use the same skill sets. Its only the intention that is different and the attitude of their practitioners.

I have no idea why this is happeneing. Did you not stop and think that maybe Bear dropped Bayley?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Interesting!

That would seem the logical step, i.e. he dropped Bayley, also considering that now a lot of scouts would want the same knife as their leader.

But this is all just speculation of course.

Mike

B

BGadvocate

We all have rights to suggest our biased opinions or offer speculation...as its only human nature to do so, but I hope to hear back from Rob Bayley on the current situation and will report back. Unless someone already knows the truth to the matter.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
There are Americans who think (are taught) that the Second World War started on the 7th December 1941, and that they invented everything from the Sliced bread to the Jet Engine. Just because they believe it doesn’t make it right.

And just because more people watch Barbeque Grills than watch Ray Mears doesn’t mean that he ‘Bear’ is better, it just means that there are a lot of people like showmen, mind you saying that the Americans watch Wrestling and think it is real… Meh

As for Bear being into "survival", nope far from it, I’ve suffered and watched a few of his shows and by following his action, the average person will injure themselves or poison themselves or kill themselves. He is as I said showman, and a dangerous showman at that.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
How on earth has a thread speculating on the end of the BG/RB collaboration knife suddenly turned into an Bear bashing, and worse... American bashing thread :(

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Have to agree Johnathon the threads been hijacked.
My view on the split is :- perhaps the contract term has expired.I don't see the need to look for something sinister in everything that happens

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
How on earth has a thread speculating on the end of the BG/RB collaboration knife suddenly turned into an Bear bashing, and worse... American bashing thread :(

I don't know, why can't we be mature and stick to the topic without having to have a dig.

I've no idea why they split up either. It's probably a business decision. Whatever I personally think of Bear's show it is highly popular and merchandising a knife must be very lucrative, especially in the USA.

It is possible that the current maker can't produce the volume needed for such a large market. I guess we'll find out eventually.

The thoughts about making a more "affordable" knife could be correct also as the current model is definitely out of most fans reach. However that doesn't stop there from being two knives available - one cheap and one expensive.

B

BGadvocate

Tadpole- you're bashing all Americans and BG....not good! Well- Based on what you wrote.... and if you live in the UK and have kids you'll probably not put him them in scouts....right? You wouldn't want BG to be his/her's Chief Scout!

B

BGadvocate

Jonathan & Sapper1 have a good take on this thread. Thanks guys!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
And back on subject.... BGA, have you fired off and email to RB asking him whether previous orders will carry the name? For all of those folks that already own one, I can imagine the market price will be going up in the future.

I only hope that BGs new position as Head Scout has not interferred in anyway with him putting his name on a knife. That would be sad.

B

BGadvocate

I have asked Rob to explain the current situation furthur based on his quote on the website: "NB. My apologies but the S4 model is no longer available or branded as the Signature Bear Grylls Knife in any way."

I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Tadpole- you're bashing all Americans and BG....not good! Well- Based on what you wrote.... and if you live in the UK and have kids you'll probably not put him them in scouts....right? You wouldn't want BG to be his/her's Chief Scout!
Last post on this thread as people are again deliberately reading into my post (and in order to twist my words into their own agenda) lots of anti stuff that is not there, :rolleyes:
Not bashing Americans, nope not at all How many times do I have to say this. Please read my post, read it as it is written not as you think it is. Ok
My daughter will join the scouts if she wants to, after she leaves Brownies.
My posts are not about the scouts, (you're the first to bring them up) my posts are about Bear and the lies he (or his followers) tell.

B

BGadvocate

Seems like a guessing game as to what you wrote and what we should think! Are you say " that Man vs. Wild" (Born Survivor) is 80% (mostly) entertainment created by the "show risks" BG takes and therefore Americans are too gullible and take this as credibility and believe they can go out and try it ourselves"????

B

BGadvocate

Also, per your last msg...please come up with a list of lies that BG and his followers are telling. I think we would all like to see them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE