BE-X Ranger 2 gen2 SilNylon Tarp 295mm x 295

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
All opinions in this review are of my own and are expressed here for members to make and share their own opinions .
SquealingPigBushcraft ©

Ayup folks ,
Some of you may have seen these Tarps on Amazon or on the Begadi.com website.

We all should have some silnyloness in our lives....but alas it comes at a price that alot of folks either cant afford or cant justify .

Now im fortunate enough to have bought a 2nd hand Warbonnet superfly from one of our members some time ago. I can not praise the build and material quality enough. Alas this review is not of their equipment.....but......it is what led me to buying one of BE-X 's tarps.

The appeal was
1. Silnylon
2. Shape and guy-outs
3. Price
4. The unknown factor

I bought mine direct as I was seeking a couple of other items from their site.
Delivery was a very swift 3 days from Germany .

Well packaged but with a bit of size overkill.

5uzu9u7y.jpg

First impression ....was ....mmmm seems it's not going to pack down small ? The tarp came with it's own Bag . Just a simple square drawstring affair .

a9y8u7a8.jpg

Initial inspection......
Shocking ......the stitching is poor , with no consistency of thread accuracy ! There's alot of close calls with the outer hem edge. In one place, the thread had actually run off the hem !
rynyde5y.jpg

9e7uqera.jpg

bumymy5u.jpg

7ahe7yzy.jpg

The corner stitching and lack of reinforcing leaves alot to be desired ....
6ebu9yma.jpg

The loop attachments along the joined ridge are poor and stitched to one side, as opposed to an even pull.
rejebery.jpg

The inside sealing of the ridge is poorly taped. You should be able to make out areas of greyness that are the result of a lack of bonding !
yrugamap.jpg

Packwise.....I stuffed it into a 2L drybag easily enough . This was encouraging as it means that I can fit it in my belt pouch or jacket pocket if needed.
dejyze4u.jpg

Pack of Danish for size comparison ( we love our bacon here at SquealingPigBushcraft ©)
ena4evy3.jpg

So......what do I do ? Get in touch with them and voice my concerns ? Put it down to experience and begin modifying ?

First thing I thought I would do , was to give BCUK members a heads up in case anyone has been tempted to buy one ?

Continuing the review.....
I took it into the garden to peg it out and see what would occur in the wind....
I went for a ground pitch first as this was one of the appealing factors of using a square tarp ...
u4uzada4.jpg

More inconsistencies....the loops are of different length....so peg width may be A problem .
You should be able to see differences in the pics...
ha3a8e4y.jpg

In this picture, the peg will not go all the way through.

da2a8aty.jpg

Even MSR are a squeeze .
4y2use3u.jpg

I did string it between trees, but the gusts became strong and I didn't leave it up long.
The material feels strong , yet it's the stitching and lack of reinforcing that will start any damage.

I will be doing some more testing shortly , and will contact them to express my concerns.
I think I may keep it and modify the hems and guyouts .....I do like the size and weight , and I do prefer the material to a DD PU tarp. In my opinion then faults are no worse than what I have experienced with DD.

To be continued .....
e7ese9ub.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not too good then

Looking at the pics I think I'd rather give DD my money and put up with the extra 100 or so grams penalty on their 3x3

The fabric looks weird, almost like a cordura, how does it feel compared to the silky Superfly sil?

If you can return it I wouldn't bother trying to make it good, the amount of work it needs you'd be better off buying some decent sil and doing it yourself from scratch.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE