BCUK Archery Club ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Having enjoyed very much Grooveski's archery meet last weekend it has really come home to me what a friendly and welcoming bunch the BCUK archers who attended were. That stands in stark contrast to the other archery groups I have tried, both focused on modern target archery, where people have seemed positively unwelcoming, a-social, sniffy and excessively rule-bound. I want to shoot regularly with a bunch of people who are just having fun and enjoying the outdoors. Maybe I just haven't found the right club - but my local one cetainly isn't for me (they looked positively disappointed when I turned up).

Is there scope for forming a BCUK Central Scotland Archery Club ? I am sure between us we have everything we need, we can probably secure some land on a regular basis, and we could do it with a bushcraft flavour (parachute up fire on the go etc). Comrie Croft could be the venue.

As a compulsive organiser, I would even volunteer to organise the admin.

What does everyone think ?

NS

Last edited:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I could see it working for monthly meets or the like. Any more regular and the distance some would have to travel would become more of an issue.

I think the 3d course at cumbernauld can be booked for groups so that is a possibility or you could have a rotating selection of sites.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I like the idea too. It was a lot of fun and very casual.
Rotating venues sounds like a laugh and since we're all scattered around sounds a bit more likely as well.

If it went along the NFAS route I think each venue would have to be vetted. Don't know if that means site visits or if they do it from maps. I'd arrange to get the farm on the list happily enough though.
I mind looking through their rules a while ago and thinking they all made perfect sense.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
I want it to be informal because that's what I don't like about all the other clubs I look into. Replicating Grooveski's type of event every month or so somewhere would be perfect. Maybe each of us could organise a venue in turn ? - for example I could do Comrie Croft which has butts and fields.

Why is insurance such a big deal in archery ? Your home insurance covers you for third party liability for ANY sporting activity as long as it is not part of your profession. As an example I checked specifically about game shooting with my insurers and they confirmed I was covered already. I think the "join the BASC or you're not insured etc" is just mis-information to keep BASC numbers up. I bet the same applies to archery.

Insurance and club affiliation might be more important when booking a course however

NS

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
No vetting at all for the NFAS - they dont come and check out your venue, they dont even worry about where it is. It is just down to any event organiser to make sure that they arent likely to shoot people on footpaths etc.

Yes - your household insurance does cover you for some things, but I think that the £20 a year that you pay in is well worth it.

As ever, I am always happy to host something down in sussex, we have a whole wood dedicated to archery, with all sorts of targets and the ability to camp and have a fire while we are there (not to mention the treebog).

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Rob thanks for the advice - but here's what puts me off the NFAS. I'm not trying to score points here - it just really puts me off !

ArcheryOfficialdom.jpg

Last edited:

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Ok - I can give you some info on that one. I am the H&S adviser to the NFAS and sit on the Committee - I also run a club and am a qualified coach.

For many years, there had been examples of people buying some kit in the local gun shop and then turning up to an "open shoot". What this meant was that people with no knowledge of how to shoot safely (or of the NFAS rules) could turn up with powerful bows, broadheads and the like and then not be safe. Whilst these guys were always looked after and put right on the day, there was a fear that at some point our luck would run out. You might have over a hundred archers at an open shoot, so they all have to know what they are doing.

That extra bit on the bottom of the form relates to "Full Membership" - which is what you need to attend an "open" shoot - basically when you go to a club and shoot in one of their competitions. When people first join, they are given "Provisional Membership", which means that they get the newsletters, have the insurance cover and can shoot everywhere other than at an open shoot.

Some people never bother getting signed off, as they are not interested in attending shoots outside of their own club. Those that want to can either get on a course, or get signed off by a club official - which lets people like me just spend some time with them in the woods and sign them off once I am happy that they know what they are doing.

Thankfully, the NFAS is pretty informal and pretty much lets people get on with things as they like.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I would be interested in a once a month meeting to practice archery. I would have loved to have gone to the last one but I had holidays booked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE