Baked Potatoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey guys,

In the past I've brought a foil wrapped potato with me to camp and chucked it in the fire to cook. I'd like to move away from using foil however and wondered if anyone had any other ways if cooking a potato outside. Wrapped in leaves perhaps? Chucked in the fire as is? Cheers

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hey guys,

In the past I've brought a foil wrapped potato with me to camp and chucked it in the fire to cook. I'd like to move away from using foil however and wondered if anyone had any other ways if cooking a potato outside. Wrapped in leaves perhaps? Chucked in the fire as is? Cheers

Not sure as the potato will have to be baking for long time so leaf may not hold out unless you put lots on it. I've seen food cooked in dock and other such big leaves before, just rolled the food up into a parcel and tie with nettle or other cordage maybe

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Start a fire and warm the ground up under.

Once warm dig a hole and bury the potatoes in the hole and over.

Then build the fire up over the potatoes and wait

After an hour or two the potatoes will have cooked. :)

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
or put it in a can then in the coals.
when done cut it fill it and eat out of the can as well .
good for melting cheese in .
now im hungry

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have just put it on a skewer and propped it over the fire before. Not much different from putting a naked potato on the BBQ grill really.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can try the old Hedgehog in clay trick for tatties. Use clay or viscous mud, pop in the ashes and away you go. Or in a dutch oven with a trivet or smaller pot inside.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
To make them cook quicker and taste almost half baked half roast potato make them into hasselback potatoes. Thinly slice almost all the way through drizzle with oil, salt and herbs and bake in a dutchie or covered roasting tin. Quicker than whole tatties as the heat gets in quicker. Can be done with small or large tatties. I cook tatties this way at home a lot as it's quicker and so tasty.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Start a fire and warm the ground up under.

Once warm dig a hole and bury the potatoes in the hole and over.

Then build the fire up over the potatoes and wait

After an hour or two the potatoes will have cooked. :)

I think this would work for quite a few vegetables besides potatoes; not just roots, but onions and hard cabbage maybe.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
65.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think this would work for quite a few vegetables besides potatoes; not just roots, but onions and hard cabbage maybe.

You can cook a lot of things this way. I've had meat cooked this way and it was delicious :)

Just wrap them up in large leaves like Burdock and then let them cook away :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE