Backpackers rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
not uk freshwater legal mate,min length is 3foot,plenty of telescopics available cheap and they have a decent length when set up.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
not uk freshwater legal mate,min length is 3foot,plenty of telescopics available cheap and they have a decent length when set up.

To be fair though, the advert doesn't specify if the 2 foot length is as shown, or after the two pieces are put together. It's possible that the set up length is nearer 4 feet while the 2 foot reference is to the taken down length.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Its available on Amazon, aims to be a kayak rod , is 2.5ft (0.75m) total length when assembled

Didn't realise there was a minimum length for a freshwater rod...........can't see anything on the Enviro Agency site, any more info on this please??

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I cant find any mention of a minimum rod length either although I do seem to remember there was one many years ago

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The UK legal minimum length for a freshwater fishing rod is 1ft, so no hand lines need apply (when your in estuaries and salt water your fine).

I have had similar rod's however and they are prity much carp, to stiff for freshwater fun and to short for anything other than off a pier or small boat and even then the performance and build quality is spotty.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Quite a few manufacturers make "travel" rods..shimano, fox, diawa, j w young to name just a few. As always you have to pay for a quality item :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I was looking at a http://www.artoffishing.co.uk/spro/spro-mobile-stick-mirco-game-70ul at the CLA game fair looks like a great little rod for the rucksack....

Indeed it is I have tried my friends one out recently perfect for a bit of LRF along the coast ideal for trout too :) one word of advice though look into a smaller 1000 or 2000 size reel to use it with as the only real problem with rods that light are using reels that are too big and if you can look at the pe rated braid that's about 0.6 its 6lb breaking strenght but a lot finer than 6lb mono then use it with a bit of 2 - 3 lb co polomer line as a leader.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I got 2 aldi 6ft telescopic fladen spinning rods with reels. £10 each. Have to say, I didn't expect much bit been very impressed so far. The boys have had roach, silver beam and small carp on them (float fishing).

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Been fine so far. Front drag, simple and small - but solid enough. I'd strip the line off when you can as it's unrated (my guess is about 12lb).

Yikes that's a optimistic lb rating to load a reel with.

I am just waiting for the reel I got to go with the SPRO UL, but I have the line Berkley Trilene XL float 3lb and Spider wire ultracast in 6lb both excellent lines that I would recommend to any one.

redsalmon

Jun 12, 2010
divot
my rods are 4 peice and wee bit long for a proper back pack rod but i've found the eyes need to be strong, well bound on and not easily bent. a travel rod gets a lot of beating about (or carried in an extra tube which adds weight)

At £8.79 for rod and reel you can't go wrong with this...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/essential-tele-240-lure-kit-id_8237127.html

Obviously quite basic and a little overweighted / stiff, but my 9 yo caught loads of trout and grayling on one of these in Norway this summer.
At that price you don't have to worry about it, just stick it down in the pack in a cardboard tube.

I did upgrade it with some half decent braided line though.

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
If it's "Ultra Light" that you're after, have you considered trying a "Tenkara" rod? Just a purpose built, telescopic whip, no reel and very portable.

My set up comes in at 11' (closes down to 22") and weighs 50g.

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE