Back To Nature. [Rewilding by Monbiot]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I just read that this morning, personally i'd love to see it happen but i highly doubt it ever will sadly, camping in the wild where you are far from the top predator is way more entertaining than camping in UK as it is now, lying under your tarp wondering what that twig snapping noise was and the possible answer being bear/mountain lion/wolf pack is an amazing feeling

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, I agree completely. :)

I mean who are we to say they cant exist really?

Monbiots actually pro hunting, for food, and goes fishing off his kayak, for mackerel, then grills them on the beach. He's not the type that thinks carrots should have equal rights.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I've got a hankering to get some mackerel fished off my kayak in a couple of weeks time in some of the sea lochs on the west coast of Scotland and smoking them over an oak fire at my camp on the shores.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I make no secret of my dislike of Monbiot, but unfortunately without a politics-heavy post, it would be difficult to explain why. Have no respect for the man's opinion at all I'm afraid. I'm sure he'll be devastated :p

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Oooh - fresh mackerel (and I mean fresh - just out of the sea) straight onto the BBQ/woodfire. An epicurean delight.

However, Monbiot tends to ignore one major fact - ie population. Reason the UK can sustain 60+ million people? Commercial farming, both here and overseas. THe noble savage myth is just that - a myth. Short, savage lives, horrific infant mortality, fluctuating between starvation and plenty, constant localised warfare.

In many ways, the joy he - and we - take from the wild is precisely because it is outside our "norm". To the savage, it was just like our cities, only more dangerous. He wouldn't have taken delight about a dolphin, instead worried that it would scare away fish he was depending on to keep his family alive for one more day. The fawn wasn't something to go "ooh - isn't he cute" over, instead seeing it as just a source of protein.

As to him being bored by civilisation - is he serious? Instant communications worldwide, knowledge available at the touch of a few keys, film, books, nature documentaries, travel at near the speed of sound? Medicine. THe wonders of science - does not everyone, for example, share my wonder that every atom in my - and your - body was actually created in the centre of a sun? We are all - in absolute fact - star-children!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The wonder of civilisation is that a hunter-gatherer could have access to the interner, for example. Theoretically pick and mix what you want from the wild and the urban. Slight problem of earning enough cash to pay for the chosen way of life but that is an interesting challenge in itself.

Fish for mackerel from a kayak, lovely. Work out how to build the equivalent boat and use it to fish for mackerel, untold delight.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
However, Monbiot tends to ignore one major fact - ie population..... the UK can sustain 60+ million people?

But France has a population of 66million plus, Germany 80million plus, these countries, and most of europe have wolves roaming free.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
But France has a population of 66million plus, Germany 80million plus, these countries, and most of europe have wolves roaming free.

UK population is currently around the 65 million mark with a total of 94,058 square miles to work with.

Germany... 82 million with 137,903 square miles.

France... 64 million with 247,368 square miles.

The weird thing about the wolves is, and it is kind of fascinating, is that they were hunted to near extinction only a couple of decades a go, and now their numbers are increasing. From what I've read, they're moving further west with each year as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
……and all those countries are joined up on a major landmass. We're not. We are on islands and island fauna is always on a sticky wicket when human populations grow.

M

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

Statistically, England (not the UK as there is plenty of space in Scotland!) is by far the most densely populated country in Europe (and increasing by 300,000+ per annum). During the hunter-gatherer era, its been estimated that the population was around 1-200,000, not the current 60,000,000. A slight difference I'm sure you'd agree! Whilst I would personally love to see, for example, the relatively useless and barren moors in England returned to dense oak forest (before England cut down all the trees to make wooden ships), the moors are vehemently protected by short-sighted "environmentalists" in order to keep them as they are.

However the basic point I'm making here is that we just don't have room in England to provide the trappings of civilisation for 60 million people along with the wild nature of Monbiot's dream. luckily he - and we - can travel to those parts of the world to see the "unspoilt" bits, courtesy of all the trappings of civilisation. Ironic but true!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Whilst I would personally love to see, for example, the relatively useless and barren moors in England returned to dense oak forest

Oh yeh. Im all for that. I go fishing in Wensleydale, or 'Wodens Meadow' as it once called, Woden of course being Odin, god of the wild hunt.
The Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire moors, are both roughly 750 square miles, but they are joned together without boundaries. So really twice the size of any other national park. It must have been truly magnificent. I look out of my window, up at Ilkley moor, where there are loads of mesolithic carvings, and stone circles, and think, they must have looked down on us, 3000 years ago, when it was forest, and gone hunting on my street for deer!

Even as late as the 6th century the yorkshire dales were in large part not christianised, but still pagan.

Ive often thought driving over the top of upper wharfedale and down into wensleydale, how magnificent it would be if they were still forested.

I dont think you'd ever even see a wolf in that much forest. Its good though they are starting with smaller predators like Lynx, then hopefully working up to larger apex predators.

There seems to be plenty of space and deer to justify introducing wolves back into Scotland. I think anyway.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The BBC (my emphasis) said:
Back to Nature is the first article in BBC Earth’s ‘A World View’ series of essays by leading environmental authors

In this instance we have to assume the following etymology for environmental...

Environ - from the French, "environs de", translated as "close to" or "in the area of"

Mental - no translation required.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
can you just imagine the furore if high-level predators were released into the UK? Bears, wolves, lynx would cause absolute havoc with the animal farming industry, as there would be very few locations where they could be effectively corralled. Lynx in Scotland causing widespread destruction amongst the grouse moors for example, or wolves amongst the Aberdeen Angus stocks! And the first time a dog was killed by such a predator, there would be widespread panic (what if that was my child?) and questions in Parliament.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
True, but according to Monbiot we shouldn't be allowing animals to graze and the farming industry is evil, so we'd just abolish farming in favour of wild animals that can tear your face off.

Sounds like a plan :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Fearmongering?

On the entire North American Continent, from 1952 to 2002, since modern records began, there have only been 3 fatal attacks on human beings by Wolves.

I just have a deep down feeling, that we are poorer for not having these creatures,and I dont think that'll change.

I can understand the farmers argument, but farmers in other countries live with it.
I bet the tourist revenue, would outweigh the farmers reparations by far.
And they would mainly hunt the deer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE