Axe Handle For SR Viking Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Right, after waiting for a couple of years, I've finally managed to get a Stefan Ronnqvist Viking style axe.

I'd like Hickory, or if I could get it, Osage Orange, but probably White Ash, to handle it, but as you can see its a very peculiar shape.

Where do I get a bit of hardwood, suitable for an axe handle, shaped like that?

[Don't you dare say off a tree. :nono:]

yxa.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Three options Dave

1) Cut it out of a large seasoned plank - advantage is that its easy, disadvantage is the grain won't run the length of the handle introducing some weakness

2) Steam bend some wood - advantage is that you can get any shape you desire with grain the full length of the helve, disadvantage is its a bit of a faff. You could steam bend a piece that long using a bit of drain pipe and a former. If You go this route make three or four so you don't have to bother again if you damage one

3) Find an ash branch with a natural bend, cut and season it then carve to shape. Advantage is its cheap and easy, disadvantage is you will have to find a suitable bit of wood you have permission to cut, then cut and season it.

HTH

Red

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Hugh.

Option 1 is last resort, I want the grain to be as it should, nicely spaced etc. I might have to go down option 2 route, but thats sounds like a bit of a hassle.

[Although it might be worth doing if i can get it in hickory]

Option 3 sounds the best to me. AlthoughI don't have the patience to season it. What I need is someone with a suitably shaped piece of seasoned wood.

:confused: Maybe stick makers? Or cold call local arborists?

Looking through old posts, I know there are 2 or 3 members on here, who have the same axe. Hope they see this and offer suggestions.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Your problem is likely to be that most people who season wood, season straight wood unfortunately Dave

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you need me to pop in, don't hesitate to ask Dave. It'd 20 yds out of my way on the way to some work.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I have one of these axes and had a similar problem, but ended up not vein a problem after all. i just made it out of straight grained ash. that was a could of years ago now and I haven't had any problems. I think that with a handle this short and the kind of work you use this kind of axe for, the chance of breakage is limited. i know that some people have used branch wood for this axe with the pith included, that might make it easier to find a suitable piece if you insist on it following the curve. as for seasoning, give it a few weeks and then leave the wedges proud, that way you can tap them in more if the handle shrinks.

This picture was taken a while back and the handle has been thinned down a bit since, but you can see the shape and the grain orientation.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you need me to pop in, don't hesitate to ask Dave. It'd 20 yds out of my way on the way to some work.

Thanks Teepee.

I have one of these axes and had a similar problem, but ended up not vein a problem after all. i just made it out of straight grained ash. that was a could of years ago now and I haven't had any problems. I think that with a handle this short and the kind of work you use this kind of axe for, the chance of breakage is limited. i know that some people have used branch wood for this axe with the pith included, that might make it easier to find a suitable piece if you insist on it following the curve. as for seasoning, give it a few weeks and then leave the wedges proud, that way you can tap them in more if the handle shrinks.
This picture was taken a while back and the handle has been thinned down a bit since, but you can see the shape and the grain orientation.

Thanks Heath. I've managed to source a UK supplier of hickory, who Im in touch with, about picking me out a suitable log to carve a handle from. They import hickory as a firewood. Just made a sheath over the weekend out of some nice thick veg tan, and put an edge on it with the file and stones. I need a suitable bowl horse next.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Seeing as everyone's axe mad on here, [and rightly so!] Im gonna keep this thread going until I finish the axe handle, sheath and horse, and post piccies.

My hickory supplier fell through. So I bought a lovely 90 year oldish log of english elm from a local arborist I found. To build a bowl horse from.
Been lying about for about 2 years. The hearts still unseasoned. Im gonna use the bit I cut out of the horse to make the axe handle.

I know Elm is a favourite of european axe makers like John Neeman tools, and you're supposed to make handles out of the sap wood of hickory, but from the photos Ive seen of elm handles they all look like the heart wood? The sap ring is about 2-3 inches in diameter, and the heartwood is about ten inches diameter. Ill probably end up carving a piece, which is mainly sap, with some heart wood showing as well. Don't see why it wouldnt work well for an axe this size/use.

A garden hoe makes a very passable log peeling spud. :p

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now this I'm looking forward too! I have no useful insights to offer but I will follow the thread with interest!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I finally got a round to making a handle for this today.

Split the elm log yesterday, and carved a handle from the heart wood.

I made the sheath out of a nice thick piece of 4mm buffalo hide, copper rivet and stitched, bronze press stud on the other side.

Im pleased with how it turned out in the end.

Just got its first coat of BLO

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's beautiful dave! Great job on that- you should be proud :).

Where did you buy the head from?

Sorry if I missed it already :).

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That's beautiful dave! Great job on that- you should be proud :).

Where did you buy the head from?

Sorry if I missed it already :).

Thanks Cameron. ;) Got from the head from here buddy:

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9

Bloody hell thats brilliant!

Cheers Hugh. Im glad you like it.

TBH mate, I actually split the colts foot, and chiselled against the grain, which split the top! :)

...so its actually come out a lot better than i expected it to at one point.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well thankyou very much, John and Ozzy.

I chopped a bit of pine before I oiled it and its a very nice carving slicer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE