Axe Handle For SR Viking Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That is an incredibly nice handle, I love the little swells here and there to facilitate better control, especially the ones at the top for when you choke up on fine work. Really sets the whole thing off and makes it look an "organic" whole. Brilliant work.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That is an incredibly nice handle, I love the little swells here and there to facilitate better control, especially the ones at the top for when you choke up on fine work. Really sets the whole thing off and makes it look an "organic" whole. Brilliant work.

Thnaks a lot m8, thats very kind. Im glad I posted this now! perked me up a bit. hahaha.

Yeh, the swells do work very nice when you grip and choke up on it.

Theres a nice vid here Cameron, if you're thinking of getting one, of Alexander Yerks, from BCUSA, carving a swedish bowl, using the axe.

[video=youtube;x9JO5y6QwnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9JO5y6QwnA&list=TL62hjdTdJBPgmeYO5mzPJnXG S3OzfPjbs[/video]

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thnaks a lot m8, thats very kind. Im glad I posted this now! perked me up a bit. hahaha.

Yeh, the swells do work very nice when you grip and choke up on it.

Theres a nice vid here Cameron, if you're thinking of getting one, of Alexander Yerks, from BCUSA, carving a swedish bowl, using the axe.

[video=youtube;x9JO5y6QwnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9JO5y6QwnA&list=TL62hjdTdJBPgmeYO5mzPJnXG S3OzfPjbs[/video]

That's lovely- I'll finish it later, but looks brilliant! Certainly something I'll be wanting when it's back in stock. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great video, well shot and good music too. The axe looks a treat to use and I really love the aesthetics of the thing.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, after all that, the bloody wedge gave way. I made a little mistake early on, by chiselling against the grain, but tried to remedy it rather than start again.

It became the slightest bit loose, and that bugged me, so I made another one.

This time I made it out of the sap wood of elm, with a seasoned white ash wedge, and a metal sprig.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Irritating - but I bet you are happier second time?

I am. Not that the first one was poor, but it was a compromise. In the end I felt it was too short.

This one closely follows the pattern sent out by the maker, and i think the length is neccesary.

I dont know if theres a fulcrum point on an axe, but it just feels better when you swing it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE