auto

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
NAS (north american spec) defender 90 has a 3.9 V8 with auto transmission - its a popular retro fit conversion so there might be a few older landies modified to this spec knocking around

otherwise you could get one converted for you (with or without the V8).

standard british spec defenders didn't have an auto option as far as i know

plenty of range rovers (including 300tdi) had autos, as did some discoverys

any other info, just ask...

Dom.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I'm not sure if there is a specific model reference that refers to autos, probably simplest to ask the dealer or do a search on the work "auto" on autotrader / ebay etc

Dom.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
standard british spec defenders didn't have an auto option as far as i know

Factory built UK market automatic Defenders are very rare. I think Land Rover sold 500 or so to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary in 1998. They were all blue with five spoke alloys, lots of chequer plate, and a NAS spec roll cage.

I've seen a few ex authority diesels with factory fitted auto boxes. I imagine these were built by the Special Vehicles department. These have the gear selector mounted on the dash rather than between the seats like production automatic models.

I used to have a Defender Ninety with a Range Rover 3.9i V8 and ZF four speed auto running on LPG. It was great. Much faster and nicer to drive than a manual Td5 and roughly as ( un ! ) economical.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The anniversary edition Defenders with auto box are always popping up for sale. If you look in one of the relevant mags or on one of the websites you should find one. The V8 is nice for noise and power but not nice for economy (probably why they're always popping up). Eg here's one. Price would be very negotiable I would say....

http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32096&sid=14eea8cc96485503dac161ad8063c499

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Just echo what others have said.
NAS spec V8 autos and 50th aniversary edition defenders are the only autos I know of. Probably need LPG conversion too unless yer first name is 'sheik'

Automatic Discoveries will be a lot more common tho'.

I currently have a Defender, but previously had a 300TDi Auto Disco. Basically you get a lot more toys in the Disco (lecky windows, CD etc) for less cash than a Defender of the same age/mileage. Discos are also a lot more comfortable than the Defender.

However, and this was a big issue for me - the auto box robs a lot of power from the 300TDi engine - having owned a 300TDi Defender I knew what was there, but the disco just could'nt deliver it. It was however fine on the motorway, once up to speed, and I really liked cruise control. But for everyday toing and froing the auto was frustrating, despite being a very easy drive. I've not driven a TD5 auto, so dunno what they're like in comparison.

So, if you want easy driving comfort a disco auto is probably the best bet. Just make sure its got a full service history and a new cambelt (diesel).

For me, I prefer the more basic Defender.

cheers

Intertidal

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
As alot of people have said auto Defenders are uncommon and not great for distance driving on tarmac ( unless you can afford a new one), discos are great vehicles but you can hear them rust on a quiet night . the best of the lot by far is the old shape range rover with a deisel conversion much more comfy and you can fix them without a laptop . ive had all three and the rangerover is the only one i miss .bare in mind Drew none of these kinds of vehicle are cheap to run even running on gas!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
cheers guys i have now baught a car and ended up with a ford feista due not being able to aford the insurance unless i baught a complete wreck and did it up but i couldnt be bothered with that so thanks anyways.
i am still on the look out for that landy now that i have a car and hopefully that auto landy is not to far away.
drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE