Article: The Importance of Traditional Woodcraft Skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I cannot beileve no one has left a comment on this very thoughtful and inspiring article

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
having read that lengthy post i think the writer is missing something, he seems to state people have turned against woodcraft in favour of modern camping techniques and to quote ''woodcraft has fallen out of favour'' and ''trendy high-tech gear have largely replaced durable equipment and tradition of years past''. The fact is such things as having a campfire has become largely frowned upon nowadays so it is hardly surprising fire-lighting skills have been forgotten, there are hundreds of thousands of campsites across the country catering for campers with ''trendy high tech gear'' but there are very few campsites indeed that allow ''traditional woodcraft skills'' on site. True there are many bushcraft courses that teach woodcraft skills but the cost of them is restrictive to those who can afford them and finding somewhere to practice those skills legally is even more restrictive. The fact is for the ordinary enthusiast it is very hard indeed to gain permission/access to practice traditional woodcraft skills but very easy indeed to find a campsite with shower blocks/toilets/and the almost now compulsory no fire rules. I don't believe myself that traditional woodcraft has fallen out of favour, i think there is a hunger for it but it is generally discouraged not promoted apart from sites such as this.

Mar 16, 2013
cardiff
i think youre quite right jonesy, my dream is to buy a piece of forestry land and have a place where people can come and camp in their own hand built shelters, and use all the crafts available to survive. but in the uk i think this will be so hard with all the beaurocracy involved with planning and healt and safety laws.

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
i think youre quite right jonesy, my dream is to buy a piece of forestry land and have a place where people can come and camp in their own hand built shelters, and use all the crafts available to survive. but in the uk i think this will be so hard with all the beaurocracy involved with planning and healt and safety laws.
I think quite a few people share this idea. The trick would be to just not tell anyone that you are doing it. Sounds dodgy maybe, but I don't think anyone is going to tell you that people cannot camp on your land with permission and besides, who is going to enforce that?

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Great article. Some well-made points, and plenty of food for thought. It's always nice to read an inspiring piece like this.

May 8, 2014
Kansas
Beautiful writing. The "art" of woodcraft is truly a living art. Artists may vary in focus and competence but art always depends on learning and practice and familiarity with the medium. In the case of woodcraft/bushcraft the medium being the planet. Thank you so much for expressing the feelings I have for our, "hobby" so eloquently.

A

andrewlmiles

Nice Article. Woodcraft first and foremost, encompasses “traditional” outdoor living skills: Skills that have historical roots in the indigenous, pioneer, and wilderness work cultures of North America. These skills by definition involve the crafting of a secure existence in the woods, and make use of simple, durable gear, and natural resources such as wood and stone to create the necessities of life. Primitive skills such as hide tanning and arrowhead making, as well as nature study, and more modern skills such as axemanship and wilderness navigation all find a home within the term woodcraft. Woodcraft also implies a certain style rooted in the heritage of recreational camping that speaks of woodsmoke, buckskin, canvas and steel. This style means living with the earth. Camping in such a way requires solid technique, and elevates the act of camping to high art.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE