Are you a blood donor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well thanks to Stringmaker and this inspired thread i have just registered and am awaiting contact from blood donation people.

Glad it was brought up as otherwise i would not have found out about the changes to the time required between having a tattoo and being able to give blood again.

Hamster

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well thanks to Stringmaker and this inspired thread i have just registered and am awaiting contact from blood donation people.

Glad it was brought up as otherwise i would not have found out about the changes to the time required between having a tattoo and being able to give blood again.

Hamster

Excellent; well done!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I started giving blood 6 or so years ago. Regular too until appointments came in. forgot to book one so got turned away after half hour of the session opening. Then with irregular hours I missed a few. Then I started back only to keep getting sessions on boxing day or bank holiday when I'm away. There's always something. It's because it's a small town surrounded with donor centres with more donors so we get awkward session dates I think.
Still, I'm on abt 25 donations. First have on my birthday after a couple of lasses invited me. Was definitely more abt trying to get into their... Well I'm,still giving but never got anywhere with them. I'm O+ which I got a letter from NBS T hat said it cld be used by 83% of UK population!!! Think it's worth keeping it up. BTW it is the common types they run out of most.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I give blood but haven't for a while.

I'm in the Rhesus bloodgroup, or RhD+, which is Rhesus "D" positive.

The army bollocked me (typical) because D wasn't on their database, even though it's on my donor card.

It might be unusual, not really sure.

Liam

p.s. googling now...

p.p.s. none the wiser really...

I don't think that's your blood type, that's just the sub-group. For example, mines AB RH positive. Yours may be A RHD positive, or O RHD positive or whatever. But you must have a blood group using the letters O, A, B or AB. That's the way I understood it anyway...

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Started at 18 and stopped not long after my silver badge , whatever that donates, but sadly no longer wanted as i am now retired and a gentleman of leisure,

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I want to give blood as i'm O- however I have an extremely violent needle phobia, I have to be strapped down even just to be canulated so they can administer drugs/take blood. I've had a ton of CBT to no avail, same with hypnosis, it's just too deeply ingrained and is annoying as hell, that said i am registered as an organ donor so that's something.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I used to years ago and then I'm not sure what happened really, moved about so much I guess I didn't keep it up or stay anywhere long enough to.

I have AB RH Neg which is quite rare I think but not in as much demand as say O or A, I've only ever met 3 people with my blood group but have never had a problem during operations afaik, probably stuck O in me I don't remember.

Not sure if the Meds I take now would disqualify me, I'll have to look it up now I've stuck some roots down.

Si

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
I'd love to more, as I have AB-, which makes me a rare type that is a universal plasma donor. However they won't take it, as I have T1 diabetes. Even though insulin keeps my blood glucose in normal range.

Crazy NHS.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Giving this afternoon. Wonder how the hot weather affects rate of donation. I plan to drink a lot the hour before. It makes for a faster donation.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thanks for reminding me, got a session this evening. Since my daughter went to uni I have missed 2 sessions so must go tonight.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'd love to more, as I have AB-, which makes me a rare type that is a universal plasma donor. However they won't take it, as I have T1 diabetes. Even though insulin keeps my blood glucose in normal range.

Crazy NHS.

As I understand it, being diabetic does not prevent you from giving blood, at least in the UK and Europe. Other things might of course:

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/who-cant-give-blood/

Nip along to the nearest donor session:

http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/search.aspx

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Yes, for about the last 8 years. I'm very lucky now that the Blood - Mobile comes to my workplace, so I even get paid while I'm doing it.

Dave

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
As I understand it, being diabetic does not prevent you from giving blood, at least in the UK and Europe. Other things might of course:

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/who-cant-give-blood/

Nip along to the nearest donor session:

http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/search.aspx

Thanks for the heads up. I always thought this was strange. I still get the letters, but the last 3 times I tried to donate they rejected me. Iron levels normal, no other complications or abnormal levels.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the heads up. I always thought this was strange. I still get the letters, but the last 3 times I tried to donate they rejected me. Iron levels normal, no other complications or abnormal levels.

Might the reason have been your meds rather than the condition itself?

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I am one of those who can't due to meds. One of which I am on is roacutane.
plus others that they say any one of will reject me for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE